PDA

View Full Version : Modifiying a Bumper to Fit Another Car - Plz Help

lauriedatlen
18-07-05, 04:53 PM
I have a set of XR2i Bumpers and they are taking up room in the garage. i do not have an xr2i but have a citroen ax gt. obviously the xr2i bumpers are slightly larger than mine on my ax (about 1.5" to long). i wanted to know whether it would be possible to modify the bumper slightly so it would fit. for example would it be possibke to cust a very small section down the centre of the bumper and fibreglass the two parts back together so it fits. Would this be possible or is it possible to make them fit another way..

Your reply would be greatyly appreciated

cheers

laurie

notenuffhoursintheday
18-07-05, 05:43 PM
the web address is www.novaload.net NOVA being VAUXHAL NOVA not other cars.

lauriedatlen
18-07-05, 05:48 PM
Theres Plenty of Post on here about other cars. Mind ur Business unless uve got something interesting to say. How many qualifications u got....idiot

notenuffhoursintheday
18-07-05, 06:23 PM
enough thanks if u wanna fit the bumper get lots of fibreglass and filler and time and if your gonna cut it down hte middle what about the bumper bar surpose u could always weld it back together.

Jack
18-07-05, 07:58 PM
don't be an arse, he's asking for advice... play nice

Chopping the bumper down the middle should be ok, but you'll have to be careful how you cut it (i.e. straight lol) and glue it back together, and it will be weaker down the join. As for the bumper bar, you'll probably have to make up a whole new set of mounts for getting the bumper to sit in place so you may get away withouth chopping that about too much.

Anything's possible with some time, patience... and lots of fibreglass :lol:

Matt2107
19-07-05, 10:21 AM
do like razor says and just go for it.

If you fuck it up then you can take the bumper to a tip and then you'll have cleared some space

win win situation

lauriedatlen
19-07-05, 02:39 PM
First of all would like to say thanks for all the advice.

i have decided to go ahead with it.

I think i need to cut a 1" wide section right down the middle of the bumper leaving two halfs of the bumper. I then need to find some way or reataching the two parts. I think the best was would be the fibreglass the two parts together and bond with filler. Would this be the best option to reattach the two parts???. I think i then need to fully sand down the fibreglassed parts, bond gaps with filler and primer them ready for paint. I have been told there is some sort of bar on the front bumper but i cannot see one, all i see is foam padding, unless the bar is hidden under this?????.

Your advice would be gladly appreciated.

cheers

laurie

Jack
19-07-05, 03:38 PM
I have been told there is some sort of bar on the front bumper but i cannot see one, all i see is foam padding, unless the bar is hidden under this?????.
Possibly, although if its there you should be able to feel it - bumper bars are usually pretty heavy!

You may also want to consider bonding some mesh or strips of metal in behind where you've re-joined the bumper to help add some regidity and strength to the join

lauriedatlen
19-07-05, 03:44 PM
Cheers for ur help

Il ave a go and see how it goes.

if i cock it up il just bin it lol

dan23
22-07-05, 10:02 PM
get them 2 right size then get em plastic welded n fibre the back of em for strentgh use a little fine surface filler or stop on welds

mikey14sr
24-07-05, 02:17 PM
AX front bumpers just have a plastic brace behind, they locate via two big round pegs onto the front panel and a couple of screws each end. You'd have to make up your own mountings to fit an xrpoo bumper.