PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 dash or Mk2 dash?

Cassie-Nova
17-07-05, 10:52 PM
Hi guys,

I'm considering changing my Mk1 Dash over to a Mk2 dash, but wasn't sure how difficult this would prove to be!

Is it an easy conversion to carry out, I tried to look at a guide on the Novaland.com site but it seems that all of the links are dead. Can the steering shroud/stalks from the Mk1 dash be used or is it literally a FULL conversion?

Is it worth the change? :)

Thanks,

Jim

ade
17-07-05, 10:57 PM
It can be done - may need to reposition some of the mounting brackets (so welding may be involved) and you will need to rewire some of it (or at least patch in new wiring). New switches, dials etc will also be needed.

The stalks should be the same (or similar) and a new steering column shroud will prob be needed - not sure though...

Ade

Jack
18-07-05, 12:05 AM
Yep, very easy - all the mounts are in the same place, and the only re-wiring required is for the rear window heater/blower control.

You'll also need the Mk2 steering column shroud, the Mk1 item won't fit; and also the heater vent ducting (three sections iirc) if you want the vents to all work. Bear in mind your heater matrix may not have the holes cut in the side of it for the side vent ducts fit into (the vents by the windows)- this was the case in my Saloon so I didn't bother with them and left the side vents unfunctional.

And its definately worth doing :wink:

Riggy
18-07-05, 08:05 PM
^^ to sort that prob you just swap the bottom cover for the heater matrix housing :wink:

and i would say do it 9 out of ten times but this is the 1 when im gonna say leave it :lol: from the pics of your car it looks really well kept so to keep value and originality i would leave it mk1 :lol:

Cassie-Nova
18-07-05, 09:21 PM
Ade's mentioning of "Welding" did make me choke on me iced finger when I read it. On Ebay at the moment there is a FULL GSi interior - seats, carpets, dash, door cards etc etc - not worth a change of seats either?

I'll have to give it a GOOD clean, inside and out this weekend and put up some pics of the interior aswell as the exterior!

dan-hipgrave
18-07-05, 09:58 PM
lol thats most likely my interior you've seen on ebay.

The interior was all put into my mk1 mate, so it will all fit into yours, and is a very nice interior, certianly better than the mk1 stuff :lol:

ANDYRACER
21-07-05, 12:50 AM
IMO if ur keeping the mk1 front end keep the mk1 dash. TBH i dont see the point i messing about changing dashes unless ur putting a black gsi dash in.

Jack
21-07-05, 09:23 AM
IMO if ur keeping the mk1 front end keep the mk1 dash. TBH i dont see the point i messing about changing dashes unless ur putting a black gsi dash in.
Because the Mk1 dash is just pure nasty

This guy might like it though
http://www.monodam.com/2002Halloween/images/026%20Lucky%20nerd.jpg

Lee
21-07-05, 09:46 PM
agreed, never been a fan of the wedgy MK1 dash. My first SR was a late MK1 and the dash alone nearly put me off Novas forever!! Praise the lord i drove a MK2 :lol:

ANDYRACER
22-07-05, 01:39 AM
A dash is a dash. As long as it works im happy. More concerned about the engine. The only part i dont like on the mk1 dash is where the cd player slot is. Way to high.