PDA

View Full Version : How do i remove...

markiemark
17-07-05, 02:23 PM
How do i remove the bumper strip/sideskirt strips off my nova. there the standard grey ones with the red tape in the middle.... and it seems there stuck on with some real strong glue stuff which im worried about.cos if i take them off im going to be left with manky lue stuff stuck to the body of the car - how do i get rid of this?? i was thinkin an hot air gun?? :oops:

any help appreciated.

dan-hipgrave
17-07-05, 02:32 PM
with a heat gun (might not need one in this heat lol) and then some bug and tar remover, or meths to remove the foamy glue stuff left behind. Its a bitch if a job and takes a long time but its worth it..

markiemark
17-07-05, 02:42 PM
so it will come off??

im also a bit worried about discovering more rust behind the strips!! id be screwed if i took the strip half off then found a big lump of rust :?

dan-hipgrave
17-07-05, 03:44 PM
yeh the strips just pull off, then you have the task of removing the foamy stuff which will come off eventually, with a lot of elbow grease..

inel
17-07-05, 05:43 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon removing the last of those. All done and looks good without 'em. :D Yeah just use a heatgun to remove the strip and peel off the glue with some meths or similar. Some t-cut might be a good idea too. Doubt there'd be any rust under them, mine was okay.

Jack
18-07-05, 08:50 AM
Plastic scraper will come in handy too. Patience is a virtue!

ade
18-07-05, 04:06 PM
be careful when doing this - dont use a heat gun because you will blister the paint of not careful. The best way is hot soapy water and carefully peeling it back.

You'll find the main problem being the paint underneath being alot brighter (its not been affected by weather) or you may find that the previous owners had a respray and be left with a spray line!

Rust wise - if its just the strips - that high up I doubt you'll find any (maybe some round the rear arches perhaps) unless its the lower 1/4 black vynal stuff your'e removing (like on the old sr's) - then you more than likely will do.

Just take your time - and be careful - if you pull too fast you may tear the paint off with it!

Once off use tar remover or meths or "sticky stuff" remover (yes its called that) to remove the extra sticky stuff. DONT use acetone as this will strip paint and dont use too much t cut because although it will remove the sticky stuff it will also remove some layers of paint and the more you rub the more paint will come off (over time) and it'll look patchy. Bugger if its a red car!

:?

shy witness
24-07-05, 11:48 AM
ive taken these off on a few occasions--itys the same with badges etc....the best wayi foundwoz 2 boil a kettle of water.............then pour plenty of it down the back of them and let wait a wee second or 2.....then carefully edge them back and they should come off fine.......

somethimes you will be lucky enough and most of the glue/sticky stuff will come withg them if you are careful enough..................if there is some left just apply more hot water and work it off a bit at atime

DO NOT use a knife/screwdriver/blade or any thing as you will end up scrapping the paint away..thyen after that its just a matter of abit of 'elbow grease' with the t-cut and polish afterwards....it takes a bit of effort,but its well worth it in the end imo

sickrabbit
24-07-05, 04:46 PM
This job brings back a horrible memory ....those side bumpers are easy enuff to remove( hair dryer on max ) , but as I can verify on needing elbow grease , the foam tape left behind is nuke proof !! As you remove the bumpers watch out for flaking or cracked paint - I had about 3-4 nice lumps out due to something banging into the side bumpers in the past- probably some nice erks door .
Worth doing tho , dont arf look better.

good luck.