PDA

View Full Version : help needed, large knocking!

doni_nova12
15-07-05, 01:39 AM
hey, teh bottom end on my 1.2 nova collapsed, so i fitted a 1.2 corsa engine in, but this is where more problems have started!

u see, when the car is sittin idle, all i get is a popping noise an the rev's go down an down liek it wants to cut it, so i dunno if its jus turning over or if its a real problem, ave checked the sparks an they're fine.

but the real problem is a huge fookin knocking noise happening form just infront of the right hand side at the pedals. dont have a clue wat it is, but it happens wen i start to move an you get a dunt, then nothing, or if your doin a 3.point.turn then it will maybe do it if you steer aggresive on it. but see if your just driving along, an you hammer the accelrator then it knocks like fuk an jumps to the left, and if you then fly off the accel the it will knock again and move off to the right, very awkward a can tell you!!! quite scary as it difficult to drive if your on a side road eh lol.

also have some cosmetic probs, like bubbling on the front wing, teh laquer is comin off teh skirts. rust has went right through at the bottom right corner of the pasenger door aswell.

lol thsi car is a nightmare the now, the speedo on the digi dash aint working, tried all kinds of conections, but just aint happning, the speedo is attached to the gearbox, btu the wiring is out, a dunno wat way to fit either??

any help on any of these would be most grateful, thanks folks!

Adam
15-07-05, 01:45 AM
The knocking sounds like a outer cv joint.

Why didn;t you just bung a nova engine in, instead of a corsa engine.
IIRC corsa 1200 are different to nova 1200s.

doni_nova12
15-07-05, 01:59 AM
because it was a boy form a performance garage tht got it for me, how do a get thsi sorted then ? woudl it be costly ?

its a n reg corsa engine, didnt fancy gettin an older nova engine again jus for the hassel to happen agian eh, plus its hard to get decent one at a dencet price! lol

so wat abotu the other probs, you got any other ideas mate ?

cheers tho!

Adam
15-07-05, 02:11 AM
The cutting out could be an Idle control valve(ICV) problem, could try removing it and cleaning it, see if its any better.

If the speedo just stopped working then it will probably be the cable. Make sure its fully screwed into the gearbox.

The knocking and dodgy steering could actually be a lot of things.
Could be a steering rack problem.
Brake caliper sticking
Suspension joints.
etc.

doni_nova12
15-07-05, 02:37 AM
no no, the speedo didnt jus stop working, i just need the wiring instructions because the transducer was altered, and teh wiring was taken out for the corsa engine fitting.

the engine doesnt cut out, jsu soudns like it wants to, you knwo the noise it makes wen it idles jsut that little bit too low and it shakes, was jus wondering if it wasbecause of tht popping noise thts all.

the knocking noise is strange, just had the brake disc an pads changed, but it was happening efore tht, so teh calipers would have been moved, a will have a look at that stuff.

you mentioned the cv joints, any chance u lettin us know how to get it fixed ?
cheers bud

General Baxter
15-07-05, 08:04 AM
cheers bud

yeah buy a new one :lol:

Adam
15-07-05, 03:55 PM
cheers bud

yeah buy a new one :lol:
Lol, yeah thats how you sort the cv joint problem :wink:

TBH, with the steering how you described(all over the road) i wouldn't even move the car out my drive until it was sorted.

Stuart
15-07-05, 04:01 PM
and posts in english help

Donova
15-07-05, 08:32 PM
yeah what language is it! :lol:

doni_nova12
15-07-05, 11:09 PM
what you mean wat language? you trying to say my spelling is shite ? lol

awright, that was quite dumb like, but is it hard to fix at all? like, would i be able to do it my self or should i get help ?

anyone know how to wire up the digi dash proper ? been a bit tricky at the moment!

Adam
16-07-05, 12:18 AM
Do you have the proper digidash speed sender?
Or still the standard nova one?

You can do the cv joint yourself, if it is that clicking.
But if your not confident with the spanners then i was charged ?70 to replace one on my astra.

doni_nova12
16-07-05, 12:27 AM
awright, yeh its the gte speedo tahst plugged straight into the gearbox, but there is 3 hanging plugs, one coming form the transducer and the others coming from the original side, but dunno wat the other one was, the boy didnt think he would have needed the sensor if it was set up so easy so he didnt bang it in, but obviously it does, an the boy cant figure out how he done it before, tried all possibilities!!

Adam
16-07-05, 12:34 AM
You need to use a digidash speed transducer for the digidash speedo.
Not a nova one.

I think

doni_nova12
16-07-05, 04:25 AM
yeah it is the digi dash one, its been in the car for 2 years and been working, its just wen i have changed the engine, i dont know how to wire it up correct for the speedo, i have a rev counter, and every other gauge, jus cant get teh speedo wiring correct.

doni_nova12
19-07-05, 11:36 PM
see because i have fitted a 1.2 corsa engine into the nova, will i have to buy corsa cv joints or nova cv joints, or is this just a stupid question ?