PDA

View Full Version : shining your respray !! new paint a bit dull :(

flair
14-07-05, 02:24 PM
ez, whats a good thing to buy if youve just sprayed the tip of your bonnet after treating rust with filler etc to make your new paint shine as good as your old paint, baring in mind it was halfords paint not proper workshop spraygun etc.. it still is the same colour and is not patchy but i need the shine.... any good stuff to use? mmmm mmmmm??? nice1 geezeers

a nova is for life not just for christmas

-tucny-
14-07-05, 02:41 PM
laquer it! if its metalic then it should be laquered as the paints just a base coat. then use a decent rubbing compound, farecla g10 is ultra fine stuff which you should use after g6, g3 or tcut. then polish.

ovalracer
14-07-05, 02:44 PM
warm water, washing up liquid and a bit of 1500 grit wet and dry (1200 if you're stuck, most places only do 1200) rub it down REAL gently (use a rubber block if you've got one) the when it's nice and smooth just use ordinary T-cut (not the coloured crap either) Time and effort is proportional to finish! Nice day for it too.

flair
14-07-05, 02:45 PM
i did laquer it but it shined a tiny bit more... also i then use a similar wax to tecut isit? and it made like the paint start to rub off it bits so i stopped using that,hmm h.e.l.p

-Bruce-
14-07-05, 02:45 PM
I sort of agree with above. Do that but before you do, you should use a flat rubbing block and 1200 wet and dry paper.

But to be honist there is now way if you have just sprayed part of your bonnet with a spray can that iw will shine or look like the rest of the bonnets paint.

Bruce

ovalracer
14-07-05, 02:46 PM
Oh yeh christ you MUST laquer it if it's metalic. Not if it's a ordiary colour though, you'll never lose the edge.

ovalracer
14-07-05, 02:48 PM
You've sprayed an area that hasn't been keyed, that's why the paint's coming off. Could 1200 it down carefully and re-paint?

Matt2107
15-07-05, 01:12 PM
Was it originally rubbed back to bare metal?

If so did you use an acid etch primer? This helps the paint stick to the bare metal which would probably give a better finish ultimately.