PDA

View Full Version : Respraying question

flair
12-07-05, 11:43 PM
easy geezers, just bought a pug 306 today to sit next to my black nova flair in my garage but it has a tiny bit of a rust problem on the front of the bonnet. Not rust like going all the way through.. more surface rust, a few mates have told me to sand it down.. spray it with a colour, then add another chemical to sort of blend the new and the old paint, ... he was very vauge although i have an idea on what im doing and im going to give it ago in the morning its just a problem of what sort of paint do i need to buy and how much isit and what chemicals i should use bairing in-mind im just doing it in the street, you guys probably get these noobish questions all day i know im sorry but once its done you guys will help me out bigtime and i appreciate it. sorry to hear about the hot looking nova on the home page being stolen by some idiot as i know how it feels and its very annoying but i hope you get it back , cheers ppl.

Remember a nova is not just for christmas its for life.

-tucny-
13-07-05, 08:41 AM
your right, its more than likely surface rust from stone chips etc..

a vaige instuction of how this should be repaired is;

rub down the affected sections till the metal is rust free, there maybe some pitting so you may need to use a bit of body filler or fine surface filler to level it off with the surounding metal. once this is done (im assuming your gonna use cans) spray the exposed metal and filled section with a zinc primer or etch primer (or both). this will help prevent rust returning should you get some more stone chips etc.. then apply a normal high build primer (using the correct colour). sand down with a light abrasive paper. then apply your colour + laquer if applicable. the chemical your friends talk about is a cutting/rubbing compound. this should be carried out by first going over the paint join with approx 1500grit wet n dry (wet) which will level each surface off then using a cutting compound. loads of different types are available if you dont wanna spend alot in a refinishing shop then tcut will do. apply this to a damp cloth and rub away till a shine starts to come through. be carefull you dont rub through the paint though!!! then buff away the haze and polish to seal the repair and protect the paint.

halfords isnt the cheapest shop but their paint flows well and fine through most of the can, they will sell everything you need for the repair and they do have basic guide leaflets for repairs.

sickrabbit
13-07-05, 08:51 AM
Mate , no matter what you do ( unless youve a compressor and a decent spray gun , dont touch that bonnet - not in this heat anyway.You,ll probably see the areas you,ve treated all too easily . This is my personal views on this matter - cos I,ve been there and paid for the results in poundage ( and the wifes ear bashing ) - I,ve sprayed loads of stuff in my former job , (R A F ) but its up to you. Its probably the most visible panel alongside the roof and spray tins just wont cut it - you,ll get " orange peel " overspray -even if you take the panel off and do it indoors . I only use spray tins from a paint supplier ( and they aint cheap- but halfords are far substandard ) and use em in areas like wheel arches and low small locations -and then leave em at least a week before cutting em back with t-cut and buffing with auto glymn. The other problem with spraying in this heat is the panel will be hot- the paint will cook on contact and "pepper". My advise would be to firstly call round your local spray painters , try to cut a deal with em , cos its the peparation that you pay for - if your lucky and find one that,ll agree do all the sanding back yourself , then let him prime and blat it. Its costly error to recorrect if you do it wrong. On returning the bonnet , t-cut the whole car , slap on the auto glymn resin polish , buff then use the auto glymn super gloss sealer...this stuff is the dogs.....
good luck.

flair
13-07-05, 02:36 PM
yeah thanks for the replys guys... one problem now is finding my colour? ive looked chasis badges everywhere and i can see lots of numbers etc but non of them are the colour code, guy in motor world came out t have a look and no luck either.. so ive bought a colour that tpo the eye looks identical but with it being a 306 metallic blue and a very rare shade its quite hard for me... im just doing it now inbetween checking these replys, anyone got a 306 and know where to find the colour coding?? cheers

Jack
13-07-05, 03:23 PM
Moonstone? Ultraviolet? China Blue? Afaik thats the only metallic blues they did on the 306...

flair
13-07-05, 04:17 PM
dunno, but ivr been sanding for about 4 1/2 hours now with a peice of sand paper in this heat on my street and its getting the better of me??!!! i will not give in though,.. yeah thanks though for those blue listings might be of help to me, cheers mate.

Remember a nova is for life not just for christmas

:o

Jack
13-07-05, 05:30 PM
According to my mate with the gti-6, the colour code should be in the engine bay, on the drivers side strut...

flair
14-07-05, 01:47 AM
ez.. i sanded it for around 3 hours, then treated the rust with a bond liquid that turns it purple after its been applid to rust its quite cheap and affective stuff, then put some car filler over where the rust had started to take control on the tip of my bonnet.. sanded the filler off till it was fairly smooth then wet and dry`d the filler off till it was smooth as a babys rear end. then a bit of primer on (grey) ,left it on for a bit a sly 20 mins... then sprayed my blue over using newspaper to guard the other parts of bumper and headlights etc and did it on the street with alot of nosey grannys getting concerned about there brand new lupo`s with clouds of blue smoke (they loved it really)..... once id sprayed and made sure it was spick and spank i added some other chemical spray i was told to make the metalic shine and blend old from new paint which did the job. Only thanks to you guys though for your replys on ere... and a few other wise people for a few hints.. looks great and cost me about hmm ?30? around anyway and it looks virtually new from big deep bubbles of rust! and its a really wierd 306 metalic miami blue so i was poo`ing myself tbh as ive never sprayed in my life.... nice1!!!! novacrew!

remember a nova is for life not just for christmas