PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket???

Nath
12-07-05, 03:25 PM
well the last 2 days my car has been holding back through the lower revs and today its got alot worse, just drove home and the car is also backfiring whilst slowing down,i know its not the dizzy because ive stripped that down, would it be the headgasket? just gotta wait for the car to cool down before i go check the oil and water etc.

Adam
12-07-05, 04:04 PM
Could be a lot of things really.
Is the timing belt still complete?, might have stripped some teeth and thrown the timing out.

-tucny-
12-07-05, 04:11 PM
right, its been a while now - enough time to cool down anyway, whats the situation with the oil/water etc.. ?? any news?

Nath
12-07-05, 07:17 PM
yeah the water is fine, but the oil level was below minimum.... but i know that it was full last week, there seems to be alot of oil around the rocker cover and head. topped it up with oil and will take it to my freinds garage tommorow

Rob-16v
12-07-05, 08:32 PM
but the oil level was below minimum.... but i know that it was full last weekand head

Does it smoke at all?at anytime? loss of power and loss of oil could be pistion rings.

Nath
12-07-05, 08:35 PM
no smoke what so ever

Rob-16v
12-07-05, 08:54 PM
that rules that out then. oil in the water? like emulsion?

Nath
12-07-05, 09:20 PM
not that i can tell too. the oil does seem a little runny but nothing like my last nova when the gasket went on that

Nath
13-07-05, 02:50 PM
rite im even more confused now, topped the car up with oil last nite, stated it this morning seemed fine, no smoke,oil and water still there, drove it round the block a few times and the problem seems to have gone. would it be just because there as not much oil in it??