PDA

View Full Version : Donington Sunday

Chris
11-07-05, 10:09 AM
Thanks to everyone who came down, was a really good day, although a little sunburnt. I was struggling driving at times due to sweat going in to my eyes. Thanks to Benji for the camera and some vids. I only had one problem in the day and it was the 2nd session coming down the back straight and the top hose popped, this was soon fixed and out again. I was very impressed with my car it worked my better than I expected and also the tyres that I got (Yokohama A539).
Driving the circuit the nova was spinning up in places at 100mph in 4th (due to understeer), really giving some to the tyres and whilst this was happening I managed to hang the back end out balancing it with the throttle, after a session the front tyres were fine yet the rears (Toyo Proxis T1-S) were starting to breakdown. Watch this space for some video clips, I know I didnt get any pictures not sure if anyone else did.

Chris

Matt EvoVI
11-07-05, 06:37 PM
It was a great day chris and thanks for sorting this one out :D

Matt

nathan.
11-07-05, 06:47 PM
was a very eventful day. :lol:

1st session out and the car was brilliant with the new gearbox setup (CR418). Accelerated really well through all the gears till on the last lap i put it in 5th and it squeeled like a pig. 5th gear had sheared, i couldn't select any gears. so i finished off my lap and doing about 10mph :D .

I pulled in and didn't know what to do. What a waste of a day and money i thought. My mate suggested we go to the local scrappy and get a gearbox. So off we went at 9.30 in his car leaving the nova at donington. We arrived at the scrappies and found a cavalier with an f13 in it. We rolled the cav on its side and quickly removed the box. 11.20 and we was back at donington. We removed and fitted the new gearbox on the nova by 1.15pm. A quick drive confirmed it was ok.

I carried on with the day as normal then. I missed 3 20 minute sessions in total and manged to get 4 full sessions.

Not a bad day after all.

Adam Moran
11-07-05, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a good days racing guys :wink:

Nathan, i really admire you for that! You must have worked like a dog to get it on that quick :lol:

Austin_Nova16
11-07-05, 07:37 PM
indeed! Well done with that box change! Lightening fast (although i'm sure ste's done it faster lol).

Sounds like you all had a cracking time!
Bring on Trax!

karl Rowntree
11-07-05, 07:48 PM
What a great afternoon!

I turned up at donnington drunk :drinking: having spent the weekend at billing with a constant beer in my hand. Many thanks to Mr Bishop for being my taxi for the weekend :wink:

We made it in time to see chris and glen out on track for there last but one session. Nice one Glen for the spin! I think i was the only person to see that one :wink:

Met up with Chris and Matt and Charlotte gave me her rist band to go round with the boy wonder himself. Chris said i was driving and i thought 'get in, a lap of Donnington to finish the day off and then remembered i had had 6 cans of carling :cry: But am i glad i wasnt driving! The session with chris has to be THE best passenger ride ive had in a nova over the years. The car felt spot on, and chris really did know how to drive it drifting it round bends and allmost flat through the curves. Thanks Chris for that mate, gave me some ideas for next time :wink:

Nathan has to win driver of the day for doing what he did, top fella most people would of packed up and gone home! Inspiration to us all on how to own/drive a nova.

Was good to see you all, was a great end to the weekend and charlotte I owe you a beer :wink:

Karl

benji
11-07-05, 09:04 PM
We made it in time to see chris and glen out on track for there last but one session. Nice one Glen for the spin! I think i was the only person to see that one :wink:

i take it youdon't realise he span twice in the same session?? with me in the passenger seat. i think i have that effect on people.

i also had a ride with chris and i have to say i was very impressed. i'm not sure if i would have been quicker in my nova over a fast lap, but i am 100% certain that if i came on the circuit behind chris he would be miles away from me by the end of the session. purley down to the fact that he could overtake traffic much faster than i could.

it's all good saying a small block is better for handling, but the way trackdays are organised you are not allowed to overtake in the corners or breaking areas so you have to wait for a straight and thats where chris' is at it's best
all chris needs now is a diff and a set of twin carbs and it will be a total beast.

i'll see how he does at llandow and if he is as good as he was at donington i will be getting a 2.0l aswell (on carbs obviously ;))

srs1
11-07-05, 09:29 PM
sounds like a top day out.
spoke to chris last night and i think he loves his new brakes also as much as karl does now too.

cant wait till llandlow.

charlottle
11-07-05, 09:53 PM
thanks to matt for taking me out in the evo i really enjoyed myself drifting around every corner.

no problems karl you can get me that drink when we go to the ring

charlotte :D

karl Rowntree
11-07-05, 10:07 PM
The brakes are awesome Sean! Could save me alot of time around Donnington with a set of those. The V6 setup just isnt good enough when it comes to really giving it some around a track.

I liked them so much so i will be ordering some ready for trax and the ring :D

TBH Benji I dont think Chris could of gone much quicker (the session i was in) and i doubt anyone else would of done much better. His lines were very good throughout the circuit and the car performed amazing considering the characteristics of a big block. With a different set of rear tyres, ploy bushes and a diff it will be perfect, just how i like it :wink:

Karl

Chris
11-07-05, 10:24 PM
there is also the ARB to remove and try, I meant to do this on sunday but forgot.

Chris

Riggy
11-07-05, 10:48 PM
sounds like you all had a yop day , really gutted i mist it now :cry:

Snowface
14-07-05, 11:44 AM
nice one nathan. Did the cav have a CR box or are you back to WR now?

nathan.
14-07-05, 06:28 PM
LOL. I had to go back to WR394. It's crap