PDA

View Full Version : Alloys too wide??

Adam
09-07-05, 10:32 PM
What do you recon?
They are just about wide of the arches, only slightly tho.

I think the legal limit is an inch wider than the car.

Any views? :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/front.jpg

Mike.
09-07-05, 10:38 PM
imo i think you'd get away with that, it is hard to tell though because of the angle on the car, iff you took a photo stright from the front we'd be able to see more clearly :wink:

ade
10-07-05, 12:14 AM
take a shot from over the wing looking down. I'd be more concerned about the rear arches if thats the font.

Also the handling will be appauling, your bearings will be begging for mercy and youre wings (if lowered) will take a beating.

:roll:

Adam
10-07-05, 12:09 PM
They almost fit on the rear :?
just slightly catch the arch lip

Nick
10-07-05, 01:37 PM
should be ok in terms of the law, it's a pretty petty thing to be given points over !

in terms of handling, bearings and arches - then i'd think about getting them machined or some new wheels ?

What wheels are they >

Ste L
10-07-05, 02:05 PM
in terms of the law, i thought it was something like, the tread of your tire is not ment to protrude past your arch

Adam
10-07-05, 08:45 PM
should be ok in terms of the law, it's a pretty petty thing to be given points over !

in terms of handling, bearings and arches - then i'd think about getting them machined or some new wheels ?

What wheels are they >
Could get some new wheels yeah, but don't really want to tbh.
These wheels owe me a lot, as they had 4 new tyres whilst they were fitted to my astra. So thats ?200 worth, so i would never get my money back.

They are Masitaly V5TR, quite a rare wheel, ain't seen a nova with them on, and think they suit a nova. 8)
But if the worse comes to the worse then they will have to go :|

Ste-Yea it something like that, the tread is under the arch, its just the edge/side wall of the tyre that sticks out slightly.
I am 99% they will fit on the back with just the lip folded up, and they fit the front fine, just slightly wide.

Its times like these i wonder how the f**k people fit 19s onto a nova :?

Nick
10-07-05, 10:54 PM
masitaly don't exist anymore

Try getting them machined down to a higher offset, did you say they were 40's ? if so you could probably get them up to 45's and it'd be fine then

Adam
10-07-05, 11:00 PM
masitaly don't exist anymore

Exactly, thats why i want to keep them.
I will probably never see another set.

They are ET 45 now :?
If i had them machined to say, et49, i think they would rub the inner arch.

Dod
10-07-05, 11:02 PM
Also the handling will be appauling, your bearings will be begging for mercy and youre wings (if lowered) will take a beating.

:roll:

I had a set of Civic 7x16 BSA 5 spokes on mine, i had to grind away the whole lip on the rear arch and weld it up but TBH, it handled twice as well as it does with the Speedlines. The extra width helps with Grip and gave me a wider track thus making the car more stable, the only reason i got rid was ccuz they rubbed up inside the Arch.

jamie gsi16v
11-07-05, 01:34 PM
the other factor too think about is, can you have a car full and are the gona scrub when going round corners or over bumps etc?

boredbloke
11-07-05, 01:36 PM
how did you manage to get civic wheels on a nova i thought they was a slightly wider stud pattern???

jamie gsi16v
11-07-05, 01:39 PM
honda and vaux are the same mate

Adam
11-07-05, 03:06 PM
the other factor too think about is, can you have a car full and are the gona scrub when going round corners or over bumps etc?
I won't have a car full.

There is only one way to find out if they will scrub isn't there :wink: :lol:
But with everyone saying they are too wide and will handle s**t, don't think its even worth doing the rear arches now to try and fit them :?

jamie gsi16v
11-07-05, 05:24 PM
you could always swap em for my anthracite voodoos then? i live in ashbourne not far from you? id avto try your wheels on my nova tho, the arches are mega flat on mine so may not be a problem, plus im running round on 17s which i dont like!

Adam
11-07-05, 07:26 PM
But your voodoos have no tyres

i would loose a lot of money doing that as i would have to spend nearly ?200 on tyres.

Dod
11-07-05, 09:47 PM
how did you manage to get civic wheels on a nova i thought they was a slightly wider stud pattern???

Think its only the later spec Civics or peformance models that have a wider stud pattern, its the same stud pattern as the Accord and the Prelude,

jamie gsi16v
11-07-05, 10:24 PM
but then atleast the 15" tyres would last instead of you scrubbing the sidewalls off your 16s every couple of months? could be a worthwhile investment? you can pickup budget 195/45/15 tyres for 30quid each nowdays.

Jack
11-07-05, 10:51 PM
I've seen these wheels on a few other cars, and seen the same design but from other manufacturers on loads of cars inc novas

As for the law, your wheels aren't supposed to protrude from under the arches - although looking at the picture you should be fine. My Oz Exclusives stuck out further than that and I had no trouble.

Adam
12-07-05, 12:39 AM
I've seen these wheels on a few other cars, and seen the same design but from other manufacturers on loads of cars inc novas

As for the law, your wheels aren't supposed to protrude from under the arches - although looking at the picture you should be fine. My Oz Exclusives stuck out further than that and I had no trouble.
Yea, they are similar in looks to a lot of other flat 5spokes, the Kahn RSR, and kahn replicas are very similar :)

The guy i had them off had them on his nova with just rolled rear arches.
And that was a mk1.

I am in two minds what to do now, have the rear arches rolled and fit them.
Or sell them
:?

Dod
12-07-05, 09:58 PM

The New Isuzzu (spelling) D-Max has 20"s as standard and they sit out at least an inch past the arch, and this is standard issue!!