PDA

View Full Version : My FK Coilover trouble, and how i fixed it!

krobinson
08-07-05, 07:41 PM
To start with, the FK coilovers have a design flaw. Where the coilover meets the knuckle/hub, there are two bolts that secure it there. The bottom bolt is same as a standard nova shock, the top however, is oval, which allows you to pull the top of the knuckle in or out to adjust camber.

However, it also allows it to slip under pressure! This happened to me on the nurburgring, causing the wheel to fall against the coilover adjuster and almost wreck my new tyres!

I adjusted it back at the carpark and drove easy the rest of the time.

When i got home i was going to sell them, but decided i'd sort it out. I took them to my neighbour who suggested welding a plate over the holes and drilling them out to standard positon. So i left them in his safe hands, and got them back today! And what a superb job he's done :)

To stop the wheel now from cathing the coilover, i've removed the smaller helper spring, and will run just the normal spring, which means the platform will be moved up out of the way of the wheel! Hopefully without the ride quality suffering too much!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/coilover1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/coilover2.jpg

Keith

Riggy
08-07-05, 07:48 PM
looks really neat keith , is that hole in the correct place for your camber settings then or just where astd hole will be

krobinson
08-07-05, 07:56 PM
Its where the standard hole is! I can use my eccentric top mounts for camber and caster adjustment, its really annoying and hard to adjust both. So with this sorted, it will be easier setup, and wont move under pressure like before!

Keith

martweaver
08-07-05, 08:38 PM
Good skills Keith - Pics of them fitted please!!

Mart

krobinson
08-07-05, 09:53 PM
Give me time mart :) They will be fitted, along with the engine, on tuesday/wednesday :)

Keith

ANDYRACER
08-07-05, 11:55 PM
Looks like a top quality job. Cant wait to see ur nova finally running. :D

krobinson
09-07-05, 09:42 AM
Looks like a top quality job. Cant wait to see ur nova finally running. :D

Again :lol:

Keith