PDA

View Full Version : FAO 1200spi owners

Adam
06-07-05, 09:34 PM
Any of you got a performance backbox/exhaust system on yours?

If so, what do they sound like?

Any good, or a pathetic excuse for an exhaust like my old astra :wink:
:+: :)

Dod
06-07-05, 09:50 PM
Go for an Ashley system, good flow, but narrow enough to carry a good noise. The 13sr system is what you want and it wont sound pish either.

Adam
06-07-05, 10:07 PM
1300 system is no good for me, i need to keep my CAT.
A system would have to be CAT back.
So its either a backbox or nought, as theres no point buying a system for a 1200i.

Aragorn
07-07-05, 01:51 AM
basically if u keep the cat it WILL sound gay as fuck

if i were you i'd fit an SRi manifold and downpipe and get a sri cat and system from scrappy

for MOT simply fit the sri cat and system, after MOT replace it with a 1.6 GTE ashley system as it will fit streight onto the manifold

that way u keep the sri stuff in the garage nice n safe for next years mot ;)

Ste L
07-07-05, 07:43 AM
that probably the best idea...

you could always get a de-cat made up and if you car fails on emisions then put the cat back on

getlost29
07-07-05, 09:30 AM
im sure ashly did a cat back system that would fit the spi. i know spotex do and they do a decat pipe. they sound pretty good to

Aragorn
07-07-05, 11:01 AM
that would be the other option, to find a manufacturer that did an SRi catback system

you'd still need an SRi cat tho and you'd need to buy or make a decat pipe

Adam
07-07-05, 03:09 PM
basically if u keep the cat it WILL sound gay as fcuk

if i were you i'd fit an SRi manifold and downpipe and get a sri cat and system from scrappy

for MOT simply fit the sri cat and system, after MOT replace it with a 1.6 GTE ashley system as it will fit streight onto the manifold

that way u keep the sri stuff in the garage nice n safe for next years mot ;)
lol

Yeah, so its SRI manifold and downpipe.

Then a choice of GTE ashley system which will got rid of the cat, and should sound nice.
Or SRi cat, with a cat back system to an SRI.

I spose it would be easy to get a SRI cat back system and a de-cat, and then just re-fit the cat for MOT.
But a catback system is a more expensive than a full GTE system :?

Both systems would probably sound almost the same.

Aragorn-Your bro has the 1600gte ashley system doesn't he, what does that sound like?

:+: cheers for replies :)

Aragorn
07-07-05, 05:08 PM
aye it sounds pretty good mate

most SPi engines make a horrid deep boarrrp noise (most commonly haerd in your local cruise site coming from corsas and the like) but craigs doesnt sound like that at all

i would say the GTE cam helps with the noise too tho

Matt Nova
07-07-05, 05:56 PM
i had a 1.3 system on my old 1.2i and it sounded nice i took out the CAT aswell passed MOT like that

Dod
07-07-05, 08:17 PM
i had a 1.3 system on my old 1.2i and it sounded nice i took out the CAT aswell passed MOT like that

Just like i said!! :lol:

Adam
07-07-05, 09:07 PM
aye it sounds pretty good mate

most SPi engines make a horrid deep boarrrp noise (most commonly haerd in your local cruise site coming from corsas and the like) but craigs doesnt sound like that at all

i would say the GTE cam helps with the noise too tho
Yeah, my spi astra sounded very deep at idle, but it hardly made a noise at all at any revs. :?

Rick_Nova
08-07-05, 04:26 PM
i got a full powerflow job, sounds loovely

Adam
08-07-05, 04:38 PM
i got a full powerflow job, sounds loovely
How many boxes does your system have?
And has it been de-catted?

Rick_Nova
08-07-05, 04:40 PM
twin exit, 3 silencers, not de-catted... yet :P

Adam
08-07-05, 04:46 PM
I know someone selling a stainless steel mongoose GTE system for ?80, they are ?260 new. 8)
Its from the downpipe back, no cat etc.

Any opinions of how it would sound joined up with an SRI manifold and downpipe?
I know stainless systems do tend to sound different to mild steel.

:+: :)