PDA

View Full Version : BODY REPAIR

DANN1NOVA
04-07-05, 08:01 PM
can anyone give me a rough idea of how much this dent will cost to get repaired. its about 5" by 1" and about 8 mm deep.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/VANNILAPRICE/MY%20PHOTO%20%20%201/Picture218.jpg

THANKS A MILLION

notenuffhoursintheday
04-07-05, 09:06 PM
do it your self mate sand down for the fibreglass to stick to rub down fibreglass once dried then fill with filer smooth it down paint

DANN1NOVA
04-07-05, 09:18 PM
Do you think? i thought it might have cracked if the car twisted any cos its a support pillar. :)

novaco
04-07-05, 09:30 PM
try and get yourself a dent puller first m8 then you wont hav as much to fill and it should become easier.
you can get a chep one from your local motorworld or halfords or i even think argos have started selling them.

Matt2107
05-07-05, 01:49 PM
Hardest bit will be getting a good finish between the frame and door.

When you use the dent puller if it doesnt correct this edge then you made need to give it a little gentle encoragement.

Jack
05-07-05, 06:45 PM
Bear in mind you may need to remove the windscreen to get at it properly...

Jim
05-07-05, 07:04 PM
How did you get a dent there?

Jim

DANN1NOVA
05-07-05, 07:36 PM
The previos owner hit a man and thats where his head hit.thats all i know. :|

shy witness
05-07-05, 11:15 PM
funny enough mine had a real similar dent on the driverside pillar--i ended up with the screen out of mine 2 do it anyway decent............ but then i woz getting my car painted anyway

pickle
07-07-05, 03:56 PM
looks like a job for the dent doctor. my mate had a dent in his cleo. i think they put a hole in it, then pull is. he done a good job, sprayed it, the lot. ?60 i think

ade
07-07-05, 11:10 PM
feck - if someones head did that they must have one hell of a sore head - thats once of the strongest parts of the car!

:x

Dent puller it - you cant get at it from the inside - if its 1" deep (thats v deep for a pillar - sure its not 1cm) - anyway - pull it out as best you can (this usually involves drilling a self tapping screw/rod into the centre and then using a special tool to pull on the rod) when out smooth over.

You can avoid removing the windscreen by wedging some washing line under it (thats how they spray cars with windows in them - raises the rubber off the metal) although for a decent finish I;d remove the screen (get it done prefessionally coz its a biatch and it'll crack!)

You could fill it with resin then skim with filler - just take your time and build it up in layers (only if its 1cm deep though - not for a 1" dent)

Ade

DANN1NOVA
08-07-05, 06:34 AM
as i say its only 8mm deep so filler may do it but as stated its one of the safety points of the shell so dont know whether to get it done by a pro,how much should i be paying roughly? cheers

ade
10-07-05, 12:18 AM
depends - ?150 inc respray of area. Thing is - how do you know they wont fill it? You could test it with a magnet i suppose but they could use that metal filler???

:?

TBH I dont think its gonna make that mutch different structural wise - the metals not "creased" - ie twisted (in terms of strength ), the sides are still in tact (theyre the strong bits coz them add support) and the windscreen didnt shatter so I'd say fill it. TBH the only way youre ever gonna know if its "strong enough" is if you put the car on the roof - and if you do that I'd be more worried about the rest of the shell holding together. The area may buckle but the rest of it will still hold it in place.

Stuart
10-07-05, 08:17 AM
large dents like that in the A B or C pillars are write offs!

id be vary wary about that car, get it checked out by HPI or what ever.