PDA

View Full Version : Carbon canister

Adam
02-07-05, 12:14 AM
Whats the crack with this?? :lol:
Found it inside the passenger arch, and its stopping me taking the front bumper off as i can't get to the bumper iron crossmember bolts.
Can i just rip the canistor out and bin it, it looks pretty useless :lol:

Ste L
02-07-05, 02:34 AM
when i take my bumper off i leave the iron on, and undo the irons behind the bumper that attach to the carrier bar, i find it easier

Aragorn
02-07-05, 09:25 AM
yer just ditch it

just make sure u seal up the vacuum hose that goes to it (i took a piece of hose and connected the 2 vacuum outlets together as i wasnt using either)

Adam
02-07-05, 08:15 PM
when i take my bumper off i leave the iron on, and undo the irons behind the bumper that attach to the carrier bar, i find it easier
Yeah thats what i have done now mate. Save undoing the bumper bar bolts, two of which i sheared straight off yesterday :roll: So the drivers side is now not bolted in, everything still seems pretty solid tho.

I will rip the canistor out tomorrow, and join the hoses together with a piece of garden hose or something :wink:

:+:

Philsutton
03-07-05, 06:23 PM
i hit mine with a hammer numberous times while trying to bend it out with a crowbar, the canistor lost that battle

Adam
03-07-05, 09:16 PM
i hit mine with a hammer numberous times while trying to bend it out with a crowbar, the canistor lost that battle
LOL
i tried remove it today, and the canistor won the battle :lol:
Couldn't move the thing, i undid the bolt, and the canistor was just jammed in.
And there are a few hoses connected to it, a quick look in haynes reveals that they are:-

-One to throttle housing
-Vacuum Hose
-Fuel vapour hose to the tank
-Ventilation hose.

Which should i join to which? :?

Aragorn
03-07-05, 09:21 PM
sorry on the throttl houseing theres 2 pipes that come out the front of it, u need to join the 2 of them togehter (one goes to the carbon can and the other to the hot air flap)

the rest of the pipes on the carbon can can simply be removed except for the one to the fuel tank, i just left this loose in the wheel arch

and the vacuum t-piece on the brake servo pipe needs sealed off (i melted it with a lighter and squeezed it shut with some pliers)

Adam
03-07-05, 09:28 PM
Ahh ok mate, cheers.
What does this canistor do, i guess something stupid to do with emissions?