PDA

View Full Version : 2 become 1 (1.3 and 1.4SR)

autox
01-07-05, 08:39 PM
Well after blowing up my block in my last race, and no luck finding a 1.4 8v engine i have been given a 1.3 8v from an astra.

It needs stripping and has a different exhaust manifold, etc so i was wondering about sticking the 1.4SR head on it, but from reading other posts the 1.4SR head is pants (?). So would i be

a. keep the 1.3 engine as standard
b. Put the manifolds from the 1.4SR on the 1.3 (or do they even fit for that matter)
c. keep the 1.3 stuff and put in the 1.4 cam, etc
d. something better

I need max performance as it is for an autocross car (race/rally car)

any help will be great i'm starting on the stripping of the 2 engines tomorrow.

cheers

Michael

Aragorn
01-07-05, 09:08 PM
well the best combination would be a 1400 block with the 1300 head on it and the 1400 SR cam with 1300 inlet manifold (assuming the 1300 inlet is the 2e3 type)

either find a 1400 block (most scrappys will have mk3 astra 1.4i's kicking around everywhere)

or just leave the 1300 as it is

autox
01-07-05, 09:14 PM
thanks for getting back to me,

is there a massive difference power wise between the 1.4 + 1.3?

i have phoned all the scrapies and no one had any 1.4 8v vaux engines, couldnt believe it...

Aragorn
01-07-05, 09:25 PM
lol my local one has a pile of engines just laying there for scrap metal

theres about 2-3bhp of a difference between them

Snowface
02-07-05, 04:41 PM
but the hybrid 1.4 (1.3 head/inlet with 1.4 cam) should produce around 75bhp. Maybe more.

i deffo wouldn't use the 1.4 head on the 1.3.

autox
03-07-05, 09:48 PM
cheers for your help, in the end i managed to get a 1.4i MPI astra engine, as the inlet was different from my manifold (it circle and mine square) i put my 1.4SR head on it and kept the astra cam cover, i'm guessing i wont have any problems changing the cam cover from the standard one with OHC on it to the vauxhall one with the plastic bits in it?

heres the one i mean http://www.mkrb.co.uk/motorsport/images/blown/neweng2.jpg

also i now got an 1.4 astra MPI head and inlet manifold with the injectors in it, will it be worth sticking this on ebay or are they as common as muck?

cheers

Michael

Adam
03-07-05, 09:54 PM
Was your 1400 8V standard?

The 1400MPI you got produces more power than the 1400 8v carb engine, so you would of been better keeping the engine as MPI.
Or didn't you want to have wire it in etc?

You should be able to easily sell the mpi head/inlet/injectors etc, as a lot of 1400spi owners swap the top end to get extra power.
I will start the bidding at a tenner ;)
it would go nice with my 1400spi bottom end :wink:

autox
03-07-05, 09:57 PM
for the autox i wanted to keep the carb as a lot less can go wrong and easier to fix (im my and a few others opinion) plus i dont like the rev limiter i like to control what revs i put through it. and before you say it wastnt the revs that put my conrod through the block :wink:

Adam
03-07-05, 10:01 PM
for the autox i wanted to keep the carb as a lot less can go wrong and easier to fix (im my and a few others opinion) plus i dont like the rev limiter i like to control what revs i put through it. and before you say it wastnt the revs that put my conrod through the block :wink:
Ahh.

So do you accept my offer of a tenner for the mpi head/inlet/injectors ? :P lol

autox
03-07-05, 10:07 PM
lol, i might of if you hadnt said i should easily be able to sell it. managed to get the whole engine for ?50, from a scrapies, had to take it out my self though with the aid of a fork lift truck. i love scrapies, got lots of other bits and pieces too like the air scoops from an astra, i got 2 of them for cold air feeds to my K&N mmmm :) one either side, should help

Adam
03-07-05, 10:10 PM
lol, i might of if you hadnt said i should easily be able to sell it help
Ahh damn, dropped myself in it :lol:
?50 sounds like a bargain for it, as long as its a good quiet runner.

autox
03-07-05, 10:16 PM
the engine looks superb, and when i took the head off the barrels look like they have been honed recently but the pistons just had on them SE i think so guessing it hasnt been rebored? there are no marks of wear or anything on the barrels and the pistonts had very little carbon on them. i have either bought a peach or a complete lemon. The guy at scrapies said i could have any of the engines (sam type) for the same price so i dont think he saw me coming :)

I had it started for a few seconds as didnt have cooling or exhaust on so just wanted to hear it fire up, new head gasket to go on tomorrow too, seemed fine.

Snowface
03-07-05, 10:21 PM
a complete C14SE engine went for ?120 on ebay last month. lol.

You should be able to sell the head quite easily on here or ebay.

autox
07-07-05, 09:34 PM
bottom end is spot on, but i have now had to put a 1300 head on with my 1400sr cam, gos reaaly well and sounds champion but i need another cylinder head gasket, as i am running a 1300 head on a 1400 bottom end which gasket do i go for?

cheers

Michael

Nick
07-07-05, 09:39 PM
you may have to get some gasket paper and make one yourself !

don't rely on that though, as im not 100% sure

Snowface
07-07-05, 11:18 PM
Some say use the gasket that matches the head (as i did on my old 1.2/1.3 hybrid). Others say use the gasket that matches the block.

either a 1.3 or 1.4 will do, unless anyone else here has experianced different for the 1.3/1.4 hybrid.

The setup you have now is about the best you can get using the Pierburg 2e3 carburettor.

The 1.4mpi head is the next step up but you would need to heavily modify the 1.4 inlet manifold ports to match.

autox
09-07-05, 12:01 AM
wel i decided to go for the 1.4 head gasket thinking the bores would be bigger on the 1.4 than the 1.3. Its now fitted and workin a treat :D

now to race and blow the bloody thing up again, well its only taken a week and 3 engines to make 1 complete one :)

Adam
09-07-05, 12:21 AM
Glad its sorted for you mate

so, you gonna sell me that MPI head for a tenner? :wink: :P :lol:

lol