PDA

View Full Version : gearbox casing swap/overhaul

Aragorn
01-07-05, 03:06 PM
ok ive just aquired 2 F10WR418 boxes

one of them is getting fitted to my bros car as is, the other is going in mine once i find an F13 casing for it

now while they are out the car ive drained the oil out and one had some water inside it, i pulled the cluster on that one and a few of the gears have a bit of surface rust but nothing majorly corroded, however the cluster and diff are covered in horrible gunky oil (the oil in the box was red, but this stuff is like brown sludge)

so to start with whats the best solution to clean that off? bath of parrafin or petrol or summat?

secondly when im fititng the cluster into the "new" F13 casing should i replace anything? ie bearings?

is there anyway to test the condition of the clusters before fitting?

is it worth stripping the other box down and checking everything is ok inside it and giving it a clean too? or just stick a new diff gasket and cover plate back on and whack it in the car

Ste_Nova
01-07-05, 05:36 PM
just before u fit the box jet wash it

any water left in will steam off once it's running

Aragorn
01-07-05, 09:11 PM
the gunk im wanting rid of was inside the box

i dont really wanna start jetwashing my gearbox cluster?

surely thats just gonna get water inside all the bearings etc?

_JH_
02-07-05, 09:42 PM
if the diff in the f13 casing you use needs the crown wheel changing to suit the final drive of the cluster your putting in, make sure before you remove the diff, that you mark the position of the big retaining nut in relation to the casing. then, when you put the diff back in with the new crown wheel, you can tighten the bearings to the correct preload easily. (assuming they were right before, lol)

Ste_Nova
02-07-05, 10:11 PM
the gunk im wanting rid of was inside the box

i dont really wanna start jetwashing my gearbox cluster?

surely thats just gonna get water inside all the bearings etc?

nope... we used to do it all the time on ford engines.... sump and rocker off and jet wash inside lol