PDA

View Full Version : turbo engine not workin

shaney-b
29-06-05, 10:12 PM
hi i have a gsi turbo an the other day the water system kept presurising so i was told to change the head gasget i did that but i used some silocon selant stuff between the gasgets an after i put it all back together when i started it there was no oil gettin to the top of the engine so i took it all apart again un bloked the water an oil ways put it all back together the zorst was blowing an when i drive it the turbo builds up presure really easily but it doesnt give much power an it wines really badly i was wondering if it had anything to do with the zorst blowing an i dont think the turbo is suposed to wine as loud as it does can someone help me out please

Aragorn
29-06-05, 10:18 PM
well your not supposed to put silicon anywhere near the head gasket :|

youve prolly got some silicon blocked in the oilpump or turbo bearings or summat now!

Stuart
29-06-05, 10:18 PM
woah woah woah!!!

did you not have the head and block checked for trueness?
and why the fcuk did you put silicone on the head gasket?????? its a dry seal!

Id guess that the turbo hasnt got enough oil either

shaney-b
29-06-05, 11:03 PM
yea fort so wot should i do take it apart an blow it out with an air gun or sumint

Rob-16v
29-06-05, 11:19 PM
try newoil pump,gud luck.

getlost29
29-06-05, 11:35 PM
the only thing you should use on a head gsket is a tiny littile bit of grease or red gasket paste

Aragorn
30-06-05, 08:23 AM
no its a dry seal, that means dry, no oil no grease no silicon

any of these are contaminants and can cause the gasket to fail earlier than it should

shaney-b
30-06-05, 08:52 AM
ok so you think i should get new oil pump an should i get the turbo reconditioned too how much would this cost rufly

Stuart
30-06-05, 08:56 AM
roughly its going to cost a lot of money and time due to this awesome cock up lol

Will F
30-06-05, 09:14 AM
Probably need a new engine! lol

What engine are you on about? C20LET?

Snowface
30-06-05, 01:55 PM
perhaps some silicone blocked an oilway and eventually starved the turbo of oil.

Going to cost a bit to put right.

Austin_Nova16
30-06-05, 02:24 PM
Have you actually got oil going to the turbo?
Did you T off of the oil pressure switch?

Lee
30-06-05, 06:35 PM
As above, you probly have bits of sealant everywhere now, including your main oil pickup. If youve used the same crap on the exhaust manifold, that will be why its blowing.

TBH your going to have to strip the whole thing down and start again, cleaning everything cos that stuff will be wedged everywhere (friend of mine did it to MY engine a few years back on my SR, and he's still paying for the damage on his credit card now!!

.. and i would buy a Hains manual and follow it TO THE LETTER

Rick Draper
30-06-05, 07:51 PM
First things first, do you have a oil pressure gauge either in the standard dash setup or a aftermarket gauge? Is the oil pressure light on? Did you remove the oil pressure return pipe from the turbo and crank the engine with no spark or fuel till there was oil flowing freely through the turbo?

dan16v
30-06-05, 08:40 PM
its not that bad, if any thing oil will break down silicon, so that isnt as bad as it sounds, depends on how much you put on. i always put a small smear of hylomar around the water dowls on my heads

shaney-b
01-07-05, 09:51 AM
i have it all apart at the moment about to clean the oil pump up should be alrite