PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Manifold........... Snapped!!

NovaBen
28-06-05, 10:25 PM
Well, driving around for the past couple of days my exhaust has developed a 'blow' from somewhere. I thought, ah its the bottom gasket (manifold-system) that is blowing. Driving home today, the weld from the bottom of the 4-branch to the single pipe snapped and dropped my exhaust onto the floor! :evil:

The manifold is only a couple of months old! :o

Anybody else had a problem like this??

Ben 8)

mad-driver
29-06-05, 12:04 AM
had it rusted through or anything or did it just snap? I guess that is a weak point in the metalwork, though mine has not done that and its a bit older than yours

strange :?

What guarantee do you get from new?

ANDYRACER
29-06-05, 12:41 AM
Sounds like the weld was faulty. Ring Ashley and tell them im sure they'll replace it for free if it's less than a year old.

scott.parker
29-06-05, 01:42 AM
The only time this ever happend(ok not the same car etc but same thing) was wheni had a mk2 fiesta 1.1 ghia,i had a hole in the back box,but being young though ohh sounds cool :lol: just keept driving it for 3weeks till one day the system broke off just behind the manifold to system join,this was due to heat build up as i was lossing back presure,but i wouldnt think this was what happend in your case,more like andy says sounds like its fualty mate.

Scott

Matt Nova
29-06-05, 07:23 AM
my mates manifold has snapped several times on his mk2 xr2 fiesta

take it back mate they'l replace it

Ste_Nova
29-06-05, 08:49 AM
mine snapped in the same place... did you have the hanger onto the rear engine mount?

Jim
29-06-05, 09:08 AM
those of you that have said your manifolds have snapped in the past, are you talking about Ashley manifolds or just manifolds in general?

Jim

Jack
29-06-05, 12:13 PM
Have you got a temporary fix Ben? Didn't notice anything hanging off when i parked next to it in the halfrauds car park late yeserday afternoon

LURCHIO_NOVA
29-06-05, 06:52 PM
i never had my ashley manifold snap but being as they are based not far from me i get my stuff from them direct and my personal opinion is that they are low quality exhausts/manifolds to say the least and the people who work there havnt really got a clue! apparently if i have an ashley manifold for my SRI i need a ashley system or the manifold wont fit!!! basically what hes sayin is if i want an ashley system on my car i need to fit an entire SR system because they dont do one to fit my SRI and if they did they didnt have one bacause i went and looked at all the vauxhall manifolds they had on there shelf and there wasnt on to suit. sorry to talk about them so much but me and my mates have had so many problems with wrong parts and messing about with refunds after them giving us the wrong parts that i will never use them again. SORRY

Jack
29-06-05, 06:53 PM
Aren't Ashley quite cheap though... you get what you pay for I suppose.

mad-driver
30-06-05, 11:18 AM
Mines not an Ashley just found out, EuroRally or something. Dont know how good they are in comparison but i think they are a similar price

Jim
30-06-05, 11:30 AM
i never had my ashley manifold snap but being as they are based not far from me i get my stuff from them direct and my personal opinion is that they are low quality exhausts/manifolds to say the least and the people who work there havnt really got a clue! apparently if i have an ashley manifold for my SRI i need a ashley system or the manifold wont fit!!! basically what hes sayin is if i want an ashley system on my car i need to fit an entire SR system because they dont do one to fit my SRI and if they did they didnt have one bacause i went and looked at all the vauxhall manifolds they had on there shelf and there wasnt on to suit. sorry to talk about them so much but me and my mates have had so many problems with wrong parts and messing about with refunds after them giving us the wrong parts that i will never use them again. SORRY

I think you may have misunderstood what the guy was saying. I have just ordered an Ashley manifold from MPC. I was chatting to the guy and he explained that the Ashley manifold finishes shorter than most other manifolds, so the exhaust will need modifying in order to mate up to the ashley manifold.

So when the bloke said that you would need an ashley system in order for it to fit, he was right. If you had stuck the Ashley manifold on your car with your standard system, chances are it wouldn't have fitted together properly.

I can appreciate you have been put off by them, but Ashley seem to be the best around for value for money. They are not nicely chromed systems, they simply do the job they have been designed for and thats to deliver as much BHP as possible.

Jim

mad-driver
30-06-05, 11:53 AM
I was chatting to the guy and he explained that the Ashley manifold finishes shorter than most other manifolds, so the exhaust will need modifying in order to mate up to the ashley manifold.Jim

Would this be the same for a performance system fitting to it? Because im not sure about the standard system, but my mangex fitted perfectly to my manifold

Jim
30-06-05, 12:12 PM
I was chatting to the guy and he explained that the Ashley manifold finishes shorter than most other manifolds, so the exhaust will need modifying in order to mate up to the ashley manifold.Jim

Would this be the same for a performance system fitting to it? Because im not sure about the standard system, but my mangex fitted perfectly to my manifold

Are you saying your magnex exhaust system fitted to your ashley manifold?

I guess it depends on what system you have. For example I had a custom system built which matches up to the Magnex manifold I have at the minute. The ashley manifold that I have just bought finishes shorter than the Magnex manifold, so my system and manifold will not mate up.

Jim

mad-driver
30-06-05, 12:14 PM
Oh i see, yes i meant i have an ashley manifold (or at least i think it is, its certainly similar to an ashley) and its mated to my magnex system just fine

Matt2107
30-06-05, 12:48 PM
I was gonna get an Ashley system but i think i might go for a Magnex instead now if the Ashley build quality is poor.

Stuart
30-06-05, 01:15 PM
to be fair you get what you pay for. and ive heard more good about ashley than bad.

Dan had to ahve his braised up but thats after about 6 years of being used hard and VERY hot so id actually expect it to fail after that abuse.

also since it is a mild steel maifold you can jsut repair it as you need to, so thts no biggie afterall.

SRlew
30-06-05, 01:23 PM
well seems its a common thing lately. me and my brother were driving to devon then the manifolld snapped so we chucked the system in the hedge on the motorway (it was a standard one on an xr2 though)

then we were coming home on the week end and a mate came up with us in his xr2 with a full ashley sytem + manifold, then his manifold snapped.

it looked like the weld haddent stuck to the metal properly, and his was only bout a month old.

but iv had an ashley system and maniflod on my SR for probably bout a year and had no troubles.

Matt Nova
30-06-05, 05:50 PM
i've got a full ashley system on mine and the ashley manifold

if i remember correctly i had to use abit of the standard pipe to join the downpipe to system

i've had no problems with mine and would get another its good stuff, cheap and I love the way it sounds too

LURCHIO_NOVA
30-06-05, 07:28 PM
no the problem was they were trying to tell me that a SR manifold was the same as a SRI manifold and i told them it wasnt and he was having non of it. the bend is different on an SRI manifold it is just like the GSI manifold. anyways cars lookin gr8 in PV mag jim was lookin into havin my spare SRI engine rebuilt and bored out etc just lookin at the costs at the moment :D just hope i can find that money tree

benji
30-06-05, 11:46 PM
my ashley manifold snapped, it had been on the car 3 years though so i wasn't too fussed, i replaced it with another

ANDYRACER
01-07-05, 04:08 PM
Ive never had a ashley manifold but ive got the straight through pipe and cant complain at all. For the price it is a really good quality exhaust.

NovaBen
01-07-05, 06:30 PM
Well, all i can say is mine has been repaired now, its been re-welded and had 2 triangular strengthening plates welded to it aswell! :lol:

Sorted

Ben 8)

Alex
01-07-05, 07:45 PM
I had an ashley manifold and system on my nova. The best exhaust I have had. My manifold did snap after 13 month though as well