PDA

View Full Version : TP on other cars?

Stuart
28-06-05, 09:19 AM
if i was to get my insurance set so that i can drive any other car TP (providing its not registered to me) does the other car have to have its own insurance on it? or can it merely be registered to someone else and then i can drive it as mucha s i like (with their permission of course :wink: )

Jack
28-06-05, 10:49 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations for driving another car and being covered by your policy (inc an "all car" one) is that they only cover you on cars currenly insured by another driver.

I think its just a way of stopping people from having three or four cars, and then getting an "all car" policy on a cheapo metro or etc to cover them all lol

May be worth checking, but I'm 99.9% sure thats the case.

Stuart
28-06-05, 11:07 AM
hmmmmm well i know the other cars arent allowed to be registered to the named insureeeeee (ie me), but i didnt think the car had to be specifically insured by the registered owner.

i guess ill have to ask First alternative lol.

mad-driver
28-06-05, 11:42 AM
i've been wondering this. i think if you have the right kinda policy you can, but there may be limitations on what you can drive. That could just be for me though coz of my age coz i've been wanting to drive my dads car but im not sure whether i can...

time to check my policy out i think

so the car you intend to drive has to have insurance right? coz if it didnt wouldnt that mean you could in theory drive anything?

Jack
28-06-05, 12:06 PM
Stu, I'm not sure if it has to be the registered owner who has it insured (as you say, assuming the registered owner isn't you lol), all the documentation before that I've seen just talks about the car must be insured.

And yep mad-driver's right, if the second car didn't need insurance you could (almost) drive whatever you liked lol

And for the younger members of NL, most companies only do this on drivers older than 25 :wink:

mad-driver
28-06-05, 12:20 PM
And for the younger members of NL, most companies only do this on drivers older than 25 :wink:

Which is probably why they won't let me drive my dad's Vectra GSI lol

Nick
04-07-05, 06:37 PM
i think the other car has to be insured fuly comp by the person whom it's registered to.

then you can drive that TP with their permission

Jack
05-07-05, 12:36 PM
AFAIK the other car shouldn't have to be FC

I remember when CIS used to let you drive any car on their TPF&T policies, that was fun :D

Chris
15-07-05, 04:20 PM
AFAIK the other car shouldn't have to be FC

I remember when CIS used to let you drive any car on their TPF&T policies, that was fun :D

They still do, just not for new customers.

The car you want to 'borrow' has to be registered in somebody elses name and has to be taxed, tested and insured. If it isnt insured, how is it taxed?

Chris