PDA

View Full Version : stearing wheel

dooooney
26-06-05, 11:48 PM
how the fuck do you get them off there like glued to the damm thing ive undone the bolt and puled bashed taped i cant get it off pls help

Aragorn
27-06-05, 01:23 AM
with a proper puller

snapper
27-06-05, 07:01 AM
What Aragorn said. Either that or soak it in WD40 or Plusgas overnight and have a go at it in the morning. Do be careful if you intend to put a hammer to it! You may ruin the bushes in the steering column and up with it wobbling all over the place!

dooooney
27-06-05, 08:32 AM
where do i get a proper puller from

Rexy
27-06-05, 10:36 AM
use a lump hammer and a longish bar, get's them off everytime.

Pah, spending money on a puller :lol:

Philsutton
27-06-05, 11:11 AM
^^what he said, big hammer an pull hard

hendrix
27-06-05, 12:20 PM
just watch ur teeth :D

Aragorn
27-06-05, 06:55 PM
ive tried to get 4 off without a puller, including 2 in scrappys where i didnt give a crap about the wheel and smashed absolute fuck out of it and they still didnt move, with the puller it pops right off almost instantly

hell one of the cars in the scrappy i ended up removing the entire steering column very forcibly to get the dash out cos i couldnt get the wheel off

the problem with puller is they dont fit correctly and u ideally need a grinder to trim the legs down a bit, i broke one of my legs and now use one leg plus a socket extension bar to stabilise the puller (otherwise it tips over to one side) and even with only one leg i can still get wheels off in under 5 mins

SRlew
28-06-05, 12:02 PM
^^^^^ ah thats what was happening to me. it just kept leaning over sort of thing cus i snapped one of the legs aswell. im going to use something like that then to ballance it out. good thinking :lol:

Mike
28-06-05, 12:45 PM
crowbar! :lol:

Dar
28-06-05, 02:53 PM
I have found the easiest was is to undo the nut then put it back on so that the top of the nut and the thread are at the same point i.e. flat across the top and then tap not whack it. With a hammer just keep this up. The idea is to tap fairly hard but dont just bash the crap out of it or you will damage it.

The shock loosens it and it will pop off after a while. You may need to adjust the steering coupling near the floor after this as well or you will get a clicking sound when you turn the wheel.

Mike.
28-06-05, 08:56 PM
this post has come in handy as i haven't got my old wheel off yet, its been 2 weeks :lol: :lol:

ANDYRACER
29-06-05, 03:25 AM
Keeping the nut on the end of the thread helps so you dont lose all your teeth when the wheel finally decides to give in.

SRlew
30-06-05, 04:01 PM
this post has come in handy as i haven't got my old wheel off yet, its been 2 weeks :lol: :lol:

iv had my new one ready to go on for about 3 months!

im so glad i aint driving the car yet. but i really need to get it off soon, as iv got my test in like 3weeks. and when i get a job i carnt really have the standard steering wheel in cause i can only just get in the car, cause my knees are just permently on the wheel