PDA

View Full Version : MOT.

Rexy
24-06-05, 11:37 AM
Just been told that next years MOT test's are going up to around ?60 with a ?60 retest.

Not sure how accurate this is, but BLIMY!...

Philsutton
24-06-05, 11:41 AM
dont think that affects me really as mine always end up costing about 600-800

Jack
24-06-05, 12:05 PM
Most places offer a free retest if you come back within a week or so, will this still be the case? Or will they be forced to charge the full amount again?

ANDYRACER
24-06-05, 12:16 PM
Have they done this due to the dip in the new car market?

Dar
24-06-05, 12:17 PM
They are in the process of computerising the whole system. Each MOT tester will have a card that logs them on to the system and they have to enter all the info in to the new system about the car etc. The problem is that with the new system MOT's are timed AND more importantly on a re-test the car has to be completly re-MOTed and not just re-tested on the bits its failed on.

So the up shot of this is that garages will not be able to perform as many MOT's in a day as they once used to because each MOT must take a certain ammount of time AND this is also true for the re-test thus taking more time to complete (because of having to re-check everything) and therefore will have to be chargeable.

Thats as much as I know - Thankfully they seem to have contracted out the system builds to a chepo outfit because the system I know about has been installed for months now and has never worked. woohoo!! Aparently its the same all over as well. Also the ones that work do fail.

Jack
24-06-05, 12:30 PM
^ sounds about right, the system failing lol

I guess best option is to go to a garage for a pre-test before the official MOT I suppose.

Dpnova
24-06-05, 12:42 PM
give it a few months and it will be back to normal

hendrix
24-06-05, 01:19 PM
hopefully!!!! cant afford 120quid in mot bills!!!

Marc
24-06-05, 01:35 PM
Dar is right about the new way to test, tests are timed at about 45mins to an hour depending on the age of the car, but if the car fails the test then doenst leave the garage and the bits are fixed it failed on, the garage can go through a short test (forgot the name) and will only go over the bits the car failed on instead of a full test! they dont have to have a full test only if it leaves the garage.

but dont qoute me on all this because im stil not sure all about the details

hope that helps :D :D :D

will find out more details and get back to you on this

Chris
24-06-05, 02:09 PM
Yeah that is right, the going rate for public MOT's round my way on teh computerised system is ?42.50 for a test and ?30 for a re-test if it is within 7 days. I personally think it is a much better system, so long as it all works, the garage I used for MOT's hasnt had any problems with the system but he did say a certain area was down and couldnt MOT for 2 days, as they didnt have any paper certificates

Chris

Marc
24-06-05, 02:18 PM
there about the same prices around our area aswell ?40 ish

sickrabbit
24-06-05, 03:33 PM
its all down to money at the end of the day....makes you think mind...my last mot failed due to welding ( fair enuff ) but if it didnt need doing it still would have failed on minors in my view - like clear rear lights and a sunstrip that encroached the wiper path by 11mm !!! Does this now mean we,ve gotta be more careful than ever for the fear of shelling out another 60 bucks ??

keep all your old bits and before the test , slap em back on ...just in case like - i know this has been on here before ( lights issue ) but 5 mins with a spanner is worth avoiding this stump up in charges..... :evil:

Ste_Nova
24-06-05, 04:26 PM
word has it they are gonna take a photo at every mot aswell, so they know what the car looks like

Nick
24-06-05, 06:32 PM
The man in the honda garage (i visited recently) told me that this is half the reaosn to the new system.....

A current Paper MOT system is saleable on Ebay e.t.c, and if you lost or put it through the wash by mistake it's hard to obtain a copy.

The new system stores everything on a database, so your paper copy is just a reference code to the database, so really it means nothing in terms of money e.t.c

However, i'm not sure what an MOT certificate is worth to someone when it has your plates, and chassis number written on it ?

He'd also just failed someone ona rear wiper, so i think he was talking rubbish !

sh0rty
24-06-05, 09:45 PM
my MOT was ?30 with free re-test. going up to ?60 then another 60 is absolute daylight robbery.

Phil_G
24-06-05, 11:36 PM
A current Paper MOT system is saleable on Ebay e.t.c, and if you lost or put it through the wash by mistake it's hard to obtain a copy.

However, i'm not sure what an MOT certificate is worth to someone when it has your plates, and chassis number written on it ?

!

1) my local MOT station ask me to remember when the car was MOT'd and then they look back in their records and write me a replacement. Ten of your finest pounds later - all done :D

2) I think its more the blank certificates that they are after erradicating at this point nick, theyre whats worth the money. NO MOT certificates at the garage to steal = no mot certificates for dodgy cars that dont deserve one.

Phil

PS; theyve been trying to computerise for years now (3-4 years i heard) and its kept on fucking up.

STE Novavanman
24-06-05, 11:40 PM
Howlly Cristtt

Aragorn
25-06-05, 01:15 AM
my local place is still charging ?30 but hes considering upping it to ?42,

the reason being with it all being computerised hes having to fully retest a lot more things on a vehicle meaning more time meaning less profit

it used to be ?30 and free retest within 7 days for anything

now its ?30 per test if it leaves the garage, unless its one of the faults noted on the back of the certificate which are allowed a minor retest (ie bulbs) for free by law

Rexy
25-06-05, 08:43 AM
Just wait for the charges to be dropped on your door when your late or miss your MOT date from the DVLA. I can guarentee they will start doing this once all the systems are working in order.

To be honest, its a good way to catch out those people who avoid tax/MOT etc but for the genuine peeps who may be skint for that month or whatever its just stupid. But what can we do, In fact there prob is somthing that can be done butmost peeps just accept it lol.

Lee
25-06-05, 01:59 PM
Thats as much as I know - Thankfully they seem to have contracted out the system builds to a chepo outfit because the system I know about has been installed for months now and has never worked. woohoo!! Aparently its the same all over as well. Also the ones that work do fail.

I believe Siemans is handling the installation. I was at HLM motorsport for a Dyno session when his MOT system went down. He had to log all the results by phone, but was finding it very difficult with my Nova revving its nuts off next door :lol: The owner got in a bit of a tizzy over it and started shouting at the poor support guy down the phone, at one point he was yelling int a hands free, and was standing behind my car, and as he shouted the words 'THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH....' he whacked my rear window with the palm of his hand with each syllable. Not impressed!