PDA

View Full Version : arch rust

sickrabbit
24-06-05, 08:04 AM
My motor looks fine except one patch of bloomin rust that i simply cannot cure . Its on the rear driving side , just in front of the wheel itself and below the point where the side bumper was. i,ve rubber it back to raw steel and treated it ( with at least 3 different products ) , before priming and respraying. It looks fine for a month , then presto ! - its back.....

Please , can anyone tell me of a rust preventer / treatment theyve used with positive results ...??

cheers.

Jack
24-06-05, 08:39 AM
unfortunately once the rust gets hold there's not a lot you can do, it will almost always come back eventually - and the place you've described, just by the rear wheels, is a good place for retaining water and crud from the rear wheel!

If you don't want to replace the whole arch maybe you could get round it by chopping out the affected area and welding in a small patch?

Matt2107
24-06-05, 01:23 PM
Also if your crap with a welder or like me... have never even picked one up before you could either pay someone to weld in a patch or cut out the rust and use fibre glass instead. Welding would be better but if your stuck then go for the fibre glass.

Nick
24-06-05, 06:26 PM
i can weld, but i'd never trust myself doing anything on my car.

i can weld some bits of box section together, but on a car you want it to be a good job !

be carefull who you get to do welding as you pay for the quality you get

STE Novavanman
25-06-05, 12:14 AM
I had same problem too its a pain in the arse best thing to do is cut it right back put some hugh alloys on no one will ever know :lol: :lol: :lol:

novamadcars
30-06-05, 12:24 AM
ha ha novavanman i agree

ade
02-07-05, 10:21 AM
did you derust fron the inside too?

Best thing to do is remove rear 1/4 panel trim from inside the car and look down into the corner - it's a little tricky on the drivers side cos its a little more reinforced what with the filler neck being there but you should be able to get into the relevant corner and drown it in crust...

If theres moisture/water etc ion the inside it'll leech out to the outside under your paint.

Also - make sure you clear all crap out from around the filler nexk in the arch - any moisture there - when you spray will just affect the paint.

You could also try sealing the whole area (once clean and dry and all old sealer has been removed) with grey stripe - this is an excellent seam sealer that can be sanded and painted - remains felxible too.

Also - check the bottom welds (theres a line of metal where the outer shell jopins the chassis and it runs the length of the car) - are they rusted or are any drainage holes blocked?

Ade
8)

STE Novavanman
03-07-05, 07:43 PM
another good idea would be not to have a rust bucket (eg nova) get something made from a country that gets rain like poland etc

sickrabbit
03-07-05, 08:11 PM
HAD A LITTLE TINKER EALIER TODAY ON THIS RUSTY PROBLEM...IT SEEMS AS THO THE ARCH IS ABOUT TO RUST RIGHT THRU AT THE POINT WHERE THE SIDE BUMPER USED TO LOCATE ....I REMOVED THE REAR WHEEL AND CLEANED THE INSIDE OF THE ARCH , THEN GAVE IT A GOOD SPRAY OF UNDERSEAL , BEFORE TREATING THE FRONT RUST AND MINOR HOLES . AFTER DOING THIS 3 TIMES ON WENT THE FILLER , SANDED AND NOW PRIMED - WILL LEAVE OVERNIGHT BEFORE SPRAYING. GOTTA BE HONEST THO , I,M EXPECTING THE RUST TO RESURFACE......PERHAPS IF MY ISAS WORK OUT , AND I CAN KEEP THE CAR LOOKING DECENT , THIS TIME NEXT YEAR WE,LL SADLY PART COMPANY........
SOMETHINGS HAVE TO COME TO AN END......

mad thing is i,ve spent a bomb on this little motor.....