PDA

View Full Version : Lowered front tie bar mounts

Chris
23-06-05, 07:47 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy the mentioned from and how much please?

Thanks

Chris

Stuart
23-06-05, 08:03 AM
protec seem to have them, but be warned they are from TAS and ive had problems with the bearings being the wrong size (thankfully both were the same wrong size), Bruce had a pair that were different sizes (and both were wrong).

just keep an eye out on rallyusedparts (or similar i cant remember tha name lol)

Or make your own ;)

Mark T
23-06-05, 09:14 AM
Whats the point in the lower brackets? How does changing the geometry affect the handling? Also how much do they lower the tie bars?

Stuart
23-06-05, 09:47 AM
they lower the bars approx 25-30mm.

its for anti dive under braking, and also due to the fact you can set the spacers to any thickness you can set the caster angle too. Im sure there are extra benefits too.

i usually get it wrong as to the benefits lol, so im sure rick draper will come along with the real answer.

Mark T
23-06-05, 10:02 AM
Anti-dive?

Wouldnt it be better to adjust castor using TCA's with Rose Joints?

Stuart
23-06-05, 10:14 AM
that camber adjustment with the TCA ;)

anti dive, ie when you slam on the brakes it tries to stop the front end sinking (unless youve got uber soft springs)

as i said, i dont "fully" understand the lowerd benefits, but they seem to be there otherwise the rally boys wouldnt do it (although they now tend to stick to rubber bushes and modded std mounts)

Lee H
23-06-05, 10:20 AM
I noticed since fitting them then the front doesn't lift as much under acceleration either which is definitely a benefit.

dhdev (Oli)
23-06-05, 10:21 AM
lowering the front tie bar mounts has TWO benefits, when braking the deceleration force produced by the brakes pulls backwards on the tie bars, thus by lowering them the braking force is effectively pulling slightly upwards and therefore reducing dive. The opposite is true for acceleration, with the force provided pushing the front of the car down :wink:

i fitted them and have to say the difference is instantly noticeable, a definate must buy!

scott.parker
23-06-05, 11:05 AM
These are the litle buggers then?

http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/photos/XSBVERTTMETINTHVOHVJCKQP.jpg

Also has anyone ever got the adjustabel top mounts off them?

http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/listings.aspx?type=new#Steering%20components

Scott

-Bruce-
24-06-05, 09:40 AM
Yeh thats them above scottie. I have just started driving my car again and have noticed that under braking it feels better. But not sure if the caster anghle is set corectly. I set it to 17mm same as jim and think that is too much. Will get it checked soon!! The group A cars were 4 degrees +ve.

Bruce

Mark T
24-06-05, 09:54 AM
Someone been reading their competition and build manual??? lol

joff-turbo-nova
24-06-05, 10:43 PM
I've made up a lowered set out of two pairs - see link below - just beefed them up tonight.

http://www.elsamak.karoo.net/tiebar1a.jpg

They run with a couple of spacer blocks to help rigidity

Just another option !

Joff