PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem (quite technical)

Nick
22-06-05, 07:10 PM
I turned my computer off last night, and everything was fine.

Turned it on today and it said "cannoth initiate windows C:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt"

So i stuck my xp cd in and booted it up with this, i then went into the system repair console and run the CHDSK command, this found a couple of errors and i now can start my computer !

It's screwed up in the past (i got the Blue screen of death once ? ) And i have about 50gb of music on this computer.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea if this is likely to be an on-going problem or was it just something that went corrupt when it was shut-down ?

if so i'l back it all up and get the comp upgraded and formatted !

Thanks nick

mad-driver
22-06-05, 07:15 PM
id make regular backups anyway mate you never know when the bloody things are gonna go wrong.

could be a number of things, maybe improper shutdown like you say but backup your stuff

tis a nasty error by all means :o

Rick_Nova
22-06-05, 07:28 PM
hmmm thats normally a big problem! i had that before, had too reformatt! think its the start up or shut down file not sure, id back stuff up then just re formatt :) or you could just 'repair windows' it may work also?

Jack
22-06-05, 07:30 PM
the RIAA are hacking your pc lol

Nick
22-06-05, 08:21 PM
my computer is working now, hence why i am on novaload. just wondering wether to trust shutting it down again

RIAA ?

Rick_Nova
22-06-05, 08:31 PM
hmmm suprised its automatically fixed?! check for virus's etc, if no probs then i personally would reinstall windows (can be done without re formatting) maybe back up stuff? or i think its norton ghost when you can go back in too a saved point? see how it goes i guess

Rick_Nova
22-06-05, 08:32 PM
hmmm suprised its automatically fixed?! check for virus's etc, if no probs then i personally would reinstall windows (can be done without re formatting) maybe back up stuff? or i think its norton ghost when you can go back in too a saved point? see how it goes i guess

Alex
22-06-05, 08:52 PM
Reinstall windows for something as simple as that?
Why?

When you say you ran check disk what do you mean?
Do you mean recovery console, then
CHK DSK /r
command?

If so and this has fixed it I wouldn't worry about it.

Jack
23-06-05, 08:56 AM
RIAA ?
Recording Industry Artists of America or something like that.... basically the music industy; in the process of taking all their customers to court for filesharing on the net lol

Apparently, some woman in Cheltenham got a sizeable threat (sizeable as in ?2500 rising to ?4000 if she didn't pay, er, yesterday lol) through the post recently because her daughter downloads lots of music from fileshares...

Dpnova
23-06-05, 09:35 AM
source another hdd, use the one with music as a slave and then even if you operating sytems dies you have no worries