PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 > 1.3SR

Cassie-Nova
21-06-05, 06:24 PM
Opinons please guys!

I currently have a Mk1 1.2, 4-Speed, 1986 nova! I would love to get stuck into the engine and have a weber 32/34 carb, air filter etc and am currently looking into fitting a full exhaust/manifold system to it. But have hit a mental road block!

Is it worth doing anything to the engine, as its only a 1.2 4speed. Or should I buy a 1.3SR and then spend the money/time on that engine?

which is the better of the two, 1.4SR or 1.3SR?

Thanks guys!

Jim

mad-driver
21-06-05, 06:52 PM
both lol, 1400 is supposed to be a good engine, but they have crap heads, so its best to use one from a 1300 which is what i will be doing

Dod
21-06-05, 10:53 PM
Is it worth doing anything to the engine, as its only a 1.2 4speed. Or should I buy a 1.3SR and then spend the money/time on that engine?

which is the better of the two, 1.4SR or 1.3SR?

Thanks guys!

Jim

If you can get the parts, then its definately worth doing Cassie.Both engines are good and fairly cheap. I'd try for a 1400 TBH as its a bigger engine although they both are fairly good to tune, so in that respect, its your decision, but definately go for it though.

Nick
21-06-05, 11:35 PM
I.d say go for the 1.4SR, insurance wise it's not much more expensive (if any at all)

Really it's the 2nd best option unless your going for something Like the 1.6 or a 2.0 + conversion.

Saying that, it's not much different to the 1.3SR, so either one will be an improvment over the 1.2

There is a 1.4 tuning guide, so you could check this out for ideas, and also browse the 1.4sr section for some idea of mods and power increase.

On a 1.4SR engine, swapping the restrictive square port head for the more efficient round port SRi head, Using your Webber carb, or even a pair of Webbers/dellorto's (40's) and a cam should see you a nice increase in power.

Also, using the SRi head would allow you to carry the Carbs/inlet and also the cam and exhaust system onto a 1.6 engine if you want to go bigger in a few years !

*novadose*
22-06-05, 02:53 PM
Ive gone from a 1.2 4 speed to 1.3 on t40's, reground irmscher cam, ported and flowed head, lapped in valves on a brand spankers short engine and full head rebuild, 4 branch and ashley straight through exhaust, im running 108bhp....
cracking engine, sounds the tits too...