PDA

View Full Version : No Compression from cylinder 3 _ PLZ Help

lauriedatlen
21-06-05, 10:14 AM
I have a vauxhall nova 1.4 carb and i replaced the carb on it becuase it was knackered, i bought a second hand carb and just replaced em ova myself.

It drove alright 4 the 1st journey but after that the engine decided to constantly misfire. I replaced sparkies, leads, dissy ect to no avail. I took it down to a trusted local mechanic and he did a compression test to find nothing was happening in number 3 cylinder. I had just had a new head gasket 1500 miles ago so i knew it wernt that but he said a full engine stripdown would be around 80 quid and that was dependant on what was wrong.

The cars only worth about 400 quid amd im not sure if its worth having done. If ne1 could let me know what the problem is most liekly to be and if its worth being fixed.

cheers

laurie

Philsutton
21-06-05, 10:25 AM
bent valve?

lauriedatlen
21-06-05, 10:44 AM
will that be expensive to get dun

Dpnova
21-06-05, 10:55 AM
buy a new head cheap, or replace the valve yourself

Aragorn
21-06-05, 11:02 AM
prolly a burnt valve but i'd get a leakdown test done to see where the gas escapes from, that will give u an exact idea of whats happening and wether its a valve or the piston/rings/bore

heads go for 30-40quid and a gasket set is 20-30 incl bolts so u shouldnt be looking at too much to fix it

Dod
21-06-05, 10:58 PM
I'm having a similar problem, i have no compression in the other three Cylanders, and in no three its still only reading 120. I am sickened to my back teeth because of it too and the mechanic that built it just shruggs when i ask whats wrong. He'll be fixing it though or i'll fucking drop the engine on his head.

Aragorn
22-06-05, 10:33 AM
no compression on 3 cyls sounds a bit more like head gasket

but it could be a pile of bent valves if the timing belt has slipped or summat