PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bomb backbox any good??

dunova
20-06-05, 01:37 PM
I was considering getting one of these (a 'universal' one lol) but wasn't sure if it'd sound nice or just be a big loud mess, any idea's/experience of them?

I want it to sound 'smooth' if that makes sense (when i put my foot down) but not just loud and shitty all the time............

mad-driver
20-06-05, 01:40 PM
erm.... NO lol

if you want a sweet sound dont buy one of them, they just make a racket, partly coz they are glass packed. Some lad i know has one on his fiesta (i know its no nova) but it sounds awful

go for a better known make, do u just want a backbox?

btw what cars it going on? your omega?

ANDYRACER
20-06-05, 01:59 PM
Cherry bomb=chav. :lol: If its for the omega see if you can find a second hand irmscher backbox. They sound nice and look good.

mad-driver
20-06-05, 02:02 PM
Cherry bomb=chav. :lol: If its for the omega see if you can find a second hand irmscher backbox. They sound nice and look good.

yea they do sound good. if its a 2.0 then it will make a nice deep noise as my dad had one on his veccy, also magnex is better and deeper but maybe a bit more costly

dunova
20-06-05, 02:13 PM
Aye 'tis for the Omega lol

So cherry bomb is a big no no then :lol:

I could get an irmscher one, but peeps tend to want fecking stupid money for them because it's 'irmscher' :roll: Ooooooh that definately means quality then...............

I'm only after a backbox at the mo because i just want it to sound nice and the standard exhaust's on the Omega's are fairly good and free flowing as they are (apart from the exhaust manifold that is v.restrictive).

I was also condsidering getting a 'rage' one, but thought that might be 'constant noise' but they do sound nice on idle.

Snowface
20-06-05, 02:14 PM
why not get a fake dump-valve emitter aswell while your at it lol.

mad-driver
20-06-05, 02:17 PM
Aye 'tis for the Omega lol

So cherry bomb is a big no no then :lol:

I could get an irmscher one, but peeps tend to want fecking stupid money for them because it's 'irmscher' :roll: Ooooooh that definately means quality then...............

I'm only after a backbox at the mo because i just want it to sound nice and the standard exhaust's on the Omega's are fairly good and free flowing as they are (apart from the exhaust manifold that is v.restrictive).

I was also condsidering getting a 'rage' one, but thought that might be 'constant noise' but they do sound nice on idle.

could try a magnex backbox if they do one, they sound very good

dunova
20-06-05, 02:17 PM
Because that'd just be damn well chavvy :lol:
:EDIT: That was directed at snowface's comment.

That's the problem with the Omega, they don't tend to make many 'performance' parts for them, so a universal one is just easier to pick up :?

ANDYRACER
20-06-05, 02:45 PM
Dont you dare put a rage backbox on it. Have you had a look what ashley do for omegas?

dunova
20-06-05, 02:58 PM
Dont you dare put a rage backbox on it. Have you had a look what ashley do for omegas?
No, have you? :lol:

I'll go take a peep..........

mad-driver
20-06-05, 02:58 PM
jetex do a mild steel system for something like ?190? twin round

Stuart
20-06-05, 03:12 PM
is it the 2.0 XE, or the NE or a V6 ?

if its the V6 then ashely do a pair of mild manifolds for ?500ish but tis a total bespoke setup.
also if its a V then bear in mind the two silencer inputs ;) I belive you can get a lot of tuning parts for the omega, but you ahve to call companies and ask since they never put them in the brochuce (PVD used to list loads of stuff but obv they are bust and they lie)

but to be fair the omega is a nice sedate crusing car (no not a boyracer rag down the seafront cruise) so why wreck the reason to have it?

mad-driver
20-06-05, 03:16 PM
i thought it was the 2.0 xev ecotech

dunova
20-06-05, 03:25 PM
It's the x20xev engine (although i'm looking at a V6 manual today).

Stuart i see your point, but sounding nice doesn't necessarily mean chavvy imo. Anyway, i think i'm past the point of return now i fitted the scooby spoiler, 18's and lowered it :lol:

I must admit, the full magnex system on my old gsi sounded beautiful. It was fairly quiet when just driving, but when i planted it it sounded awesome. That's what i'm after for the Omega tbh, but magnex don't do anything for the Omega :cry:

Jetex only do a full system and ashley dont do anything. I could get a custom rear box made i suppose? Or just fork out for a full jetex system. Now i'm looking at this V6 though i should probably wait and see if i get it as the exhaust may be different on it :?

mad-driver
20-06-05, 03:36 PM
It's the x20xev engine (although i'm looking at a V6 manual today).

Stuart i see your point, but sounding nice doesn't necessarily mean chavvy imo. Anyway, i think i'm past the point of return now i fitted the scooby spoiler, 18's and lowered it :lol:

I must admit, the full magnex system on my old gsi sounded beautiful. It was fairly quiet when just driving, but when i planted it it sounded awesome. That's what i'm after for the Omega tbh, but magnex don't do anything for the Omega :cry:

Jetex only do a full system and ashley dont do anything. I could get a custom rear box made i suppose? Or just fork out for a full jetex system. Now i'm looking at this V6 though i should probably wait and see if i get it as the exhaust may be different on it :?

thats how mine is on my SR, not very noisy under normal driving but boy does it roar when you boot it :D

Stuart
20-06-05, 03:47 PM
i garuntee the exhaust WILL be different for the V6 ;) two cats, two mid silencers, essentially two seperate systems until the back box where they merge

mad-driver
20-06-05, 03:54 PM
yes thats right, arent the engines in omega's transverse?

Stuart
20-06-05, 03:59 PM
no because that would make them FWD lmao

mad-driver
20-06-05, 04:10 PM
so how come the engine in the omega is different to vectra? but its the same 2.5 V6

i swear it said its transverse in my dad epc

Stuart
20-06-05, 04:15 PM
all omegas are RWD, therefore the engine is longditudinal.

the basic engine is the same as the veccy, but its pacakged differently (exhaust and inlet bineg two of the obvious differences) to allow for RWD fitment.

mad-driver
20-06-05, 04:36 PM
perhaps thats where i got mixed up, although im sure i read it somewhere, must have been a mistake

dunova
20-06-05, 05:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4557110371&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I've just been to look at this Omega and there's a lot of oil in the right bank (drivers side) which i'm presuming is headgasket or oil cooler. Other than that it's quite tidy and the bodywork is really good on it (apart from the dent in the drivers side rear door). If i just sold the spoiler, alloys and headlights on it i'm sure i'd make my money back easily lol