PDA

View Full Version : hot starting.. not too good

johnnynova
20-06-05, 01:26 PM
got my twin 40's on, all rollin roaded. 1 problem though. if i have been driving the car around for a bit so it has warmed up. then park it. if i try and start it 2 mins later i doesnt and sound like the batery if flat, or the started motor is having a realy hard time turning the engin over. if i then leave it for say 30/40mins it starts first time!! baffled!

cheers

john

figures. 1.4 block, 1.3 head, piper 270 deg cam, 4 branch, strait through system and of course 40's. on rollers got 91bhp at 5248rpm and 112lb/ft torque at 2560rpm. was hoping for 100bhp, but torque is fine!

dunova
20-06-05, 01:41 PM
Well obviously the 1.3 head on the 1.4 is going to be causing some big compression so this may be why it's having a hard time starting after being driven because the pressures built up in the cylinders and needs time to lose some of this pressure. I'm not certain on that, but that's my theory lol.

Maybe getting a heavier duty battery would help? Or maybe a competition starter motor?

johnnynova
20-06-05, 11:42 PM
maybe, but i havent heard of anyone else having a 1.3 head on 1.4 block having these problems!! thought it may b sumthing else....

maxpaine
21-06-05, 12:07 AM
see if the bolts are in place of the head

Aragorn
21-06-05, 08:49 AM
probably a duff starter

when it warms up it dies

however next time it does it, try clamping a jump lead from the battery negative to a good contact on the engine block and see if it turns over any better, if it does your gearbox earthstrap is muntered