PDA

View Full Version : Amp problems

dunova
19-06-05, 08:17 PM
My amp has worked fine for about 8 months but has started cutting out after 5 mins of being on at any volume. its an splx amp and the 'protection' light comes on the amp when it cuts out. Does anybody know what could cause this please?

Marc
19-06-05, 10:41 PM
i think it is your amp over heating but not totally sure about that mate, my mates use to do it cause if i remeber its not how loud you music it is its still makes the same amount of heat, but dont quote me on that

dunova
20-06-05, 10:36 AM
Yeah i thought it may be because it's over heating, but it doesn't have to be on for very long?! I suppose it has been feckin hot lately...............

What's the best way to cure over heating?

Marc
20-06-05, 01:42 PM
not totally sure but maybe take it somewhere and ask them to have a look somehitng might have bust and they can fix it at a cheap price.

cause had a jbl amp that wasnt working properly gave it to a firend to take to college and he fixed it for me

Nick
23-06-05, 09:54 PM
sounds like it could be an overheating problem, are you sure you havn't got the headsinks touching a insulating fabric ? e.t.c

The protection light could also be protection against Surges in power, Check that it's fused and you getting the correct 12v supply.

dunova
24-06-05, 11:15 AM
Hi guys, cheers for the help, it's actually my brother (postwalker) that posted this but i'll let him know your suggestions. I haven't looked too closely at the setup he's got so i'm not sure if there's something covering the vent holes or how he's wired it etc, but i'll let him know. Cheers