PDA

View Full Version : Running two amps from one rca output

lauriedatlen
18-06-05, 04:32 PM
i waould like to run two or possible three amps to three subs but i have a head unit that has only one rca output. i can get splitter leads that can split the rca output but i was told the amps would sound crap if i did this. please could sum1 advise on this.

cheers

laurie

bump
19-06-05, 05:19 PM
you shoudn't have a problem with this. i know that epo runs split rca's.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=9662&doy=19m6
that should solve your problem.

epo
24-06-05, 05:46 PM
yeah i do but i have noticed a bit of loss of power due to this so i am going to install a linedriver i think its called to cure this also i bought the splitters from motorworld

Barnie@4D........WALES
24-06-05, 06:19 PM
you shouldnt notice any loss of power, the gains will always match your headunits pre-out votage so even if theres a slight drop you will be able to compensate

the loss of power may be due to volage input from the battery, more amps = more current draw, measure your voltage at the amps inputs and youll see what your getting

epo
25-06-05, 11:57 AM
it deffo doesnt seem as powerfull \ loud me old hu had 2 pre outs :?

Marc
25-06-05, 04:27 PM
if your struggling for pre-outs i got a alpine head unit off www.bassjunkies.com for 150 with 3 pre-outs. its a great head unit will only try alpine first before i buy out else, really do like alpine :D

Nick
05-07-05, 10:57 PM
of course you notice a power loss.

the RCA is a set 2.0v max output sine wave (sometimes it's a bit bigger due to a better stereo)

this 2.0v power output will be divided by the two amps according to their impedance.

Thus, each amp would prehaps be amplifying a signal of half the power. which will lead the amp to have a tendenecy to premature clipping, depending how the amplifiers are made ( transistor, mosfet)

epo
07-07-05, 07:49 PM

the RCA is a set 2.0v max output sine wave (sometimes it's a bit bigger due to a better stereo)

this 2.0v power output will be divided by the two amps according to their impedance.

Thus, each amp would prehaps be amplifying a signal of half the power. which will lead the amp to have a tendenecy to premature clipping, depending how the amplifiers are made ( transistor, mosfet)

yeah thought as much
that linedrive things suposed to cure this tho

Barnie@4D........WALES
08-07-05, 04:52 PM

not totaly true, will explain later

Nick
09-07-05, 06:18 PM
the RCA's output is limited

therefor when using more than one amp on the output, your going to be increasing the load on a limited voltage, it's not like the headunit is a powerpak lol. One factor stays the same, the other is inreasing.

Barnie@4D........WALES
12-07-05, 12:16 AM
would have replied soon but monitor blew up

the heaed units outpust only acts as a signal, so it doesnt matter of you have a higher voltage preout you amp will only put out the same if the gains are set up correctly as a lower voltage unit

the bast way to set up is on a scope, see if you can borrow one and set up on that

Nick
25-07-05, 06:03 PM
erm.

the amp, only amplifies the signal, lower input = lower oputput, it's all feedback related / biased related. to get the same output from a sytstem with a lower input, you'l have to crank the gain up higher, then you'l expirience easier saturation levels

And that is using both transistor amps and mosfet units.

-tucny-
26-07-05, 08:41 AM
the gain is designed for compensating for lost power between the hu and amp. its not designed to be used purely as a volume knob. every amp you buy will say this in the instructions, have a look.

so both arguments above are correct to some extent. yes you will loose some signal power but this can be compensated only to a certain limit by the gain. therefore after adding x amount of amps the singnal from the hu will be lowered to such a point that the gain cant compensate for this enough thus creating a loss of volume, which is when some form of preamp will be needed.