PDA

View Full Version : 1600 engines, which is best?

LewisJC
17-06-05, 09:08 PM
I'm planning a straight forward 1600 conversion into my sport, (to preserve the original lump from being completely destroyed) but which is best?
I'm gonna be balancing the crank, and using my twin 40's and rally cam, and perhaps see if I can use the smaller flywheel from the 1300 to keep it really revvy, but is there any difference between the lumps available to start with?

I know the GTE and GSi had different engine codes, but the power figues appear almost identical, except the GSi has a bit more low down(?). Is an old cavlier lump gonna be the same?

I presume the GSi would be the best, but with the amount of rework I'm planning, will it make a blind bit of difference?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers
Lewis

Adam
17-06-05, 09:52 PM
GSI had a cat
GTE didn't

Think there are a few other differences as well,
gte had dizzy, and some gsi had dispak, IIRC

Ste_Nova
17-06-05, 09:54 PM
no chance on smaller fly... would have to cut block and relocate starter

Aragorn
17-06-05, 11:30 PM
a lot of GSi's had the E16SE motor the same as the GTE did

later (aug 92>) GSi's had C16SE motor

the C16SE motors prolly a bit better tbh, it makes the same power as the e16se but has a cat in standard trim so its prolly got a slightly better head on it

peester
17-06-05, 11:40 PM
a lot of GSi's had the E16SE motor the same as the GTE did

later (aug 92>) GSi's had C16SE motor

the C16SE motors prolly a bit better tbh, it makes the same power as the e16se but has a cat in standard trim so its prolly got a slightly better head on it

depends dude - mine (and jules' i think) are aug 92> i have an E16SE engine, the 'better' round port head and no cat, but i do have the dizzy; some did had cats and module instead of dizzy but there is no set ways - looks like they threw in what they had left lying around.. sod knows.
Either way if u were going to 1.6 ur car - go for the C or E 16SE's. As sed, theyre the most powerful std 1.6 8v vauxhall did.

Snowface
18-06-05, 09:59 AM
i would imagine the C and E16 heads are the same. Its more likely the ECU that gives a bit more to allow for the Cat.

Aragorn
18-06-05, 09:38 PM
well the heads are different,

c16se has no EGR for instance

there are K plate E16SE's as obviously they'd have them left over but the c16se came in around then too