PDA

View Full Version : ECU light comes on, ECU light goes off, ECU light comes on..

Jules
16-06-05, 06:42 PM
OK, my GSi is running fine, no problems at all with it now, apart from if you open the throttle to full a few seconds later the ECU light will come on and it'll stay on until you back off the throttle then it will go off after a couple of seconds - wheilst it's on it drives fine with no problem and feel no different.
Can I flash the ECU to try and read any codes of does the light need to be constantly on to do that?

Ideas?
:?

Chris
16-06-05, 06:54 PM
I think the light needs to be on for it to flash up any codes jules. Why not try it on the motorway at full throttle

Chris

Jules
16-06-05, 08:19 PM
Flash the ECU at full throttle on the motorway? Are you sure Chris? Sounds a tad dangerous to me!!
:lol:
Oh and it will only do it under load, i.e it won't do it if you hit full throttle in neutral at the roadside, it has to be being driven - f'king thing! :lol:

dunova
16-06-05, 08:42 PM
Fill your car up with fuel and people (fuel in the tank, people in the car :roll: :lol: ) and drive it at full throttle on an uphill part of the motorway against the wind :lol:

As for the problem, could it be that when the engine moves, a sensor gets slightly disrupted/upset and hence the ecu light flashes up? What are your engine mounts like?

Aragorn
16-06-05, 11:03 PM
sounds very much like typical lambda sensor failure

Jules
16-06-05, 11:12 PM
Except that I don't have a lambda sensor! :lol:

Engine mounts are fine.

I flashed the ECU tonight and got code 36, which according to Topbuzz doesn't happen on a Siemens ECU (Which mine is) but then again on Topbuzz it states that C16SE GSi's use the GM/Multec system anyway, but mine is a E16SE (not C16) and that's not listed - so fook knows!!

Error 36 on the GM/Multec also apprently doesn't exist, infact the only system that has a error 36 is the Bosch Motronic system which is used on mainly big engines cars like 2.5/3 litre Omegas, however it is listed as being on the Nova MPi (not GSi) between 90 and 92 (mine is a 91) with a cat - but mine doesn't have and has never had a cat!!
Anyway, error 36 on the Motronic is a problem with the RON plug - Inncorrect RON or Octane setting (or a fault or loose wiring) so I was swapping it between 98 and 95 settings tonight, it's been on 98 for the last 4 years and always run on Shell Optimax, it seemed to not do it on 95 but sometimes also wouldn't do it on 98 neither, flashed the ECU again afterwards on both 95 and 98 and it's not showing a error code now! :lol:
My best guess at present is that the last lot of Optimax I filled up with either wasn't proper Optimax or was a bit 'weak' on octane.

Aragorn
17-06-05, 12:07 AM
tob buzz lists the wrong codes for E16SE

u need to pop into halfords and look for the haynes fault code manual

the GTE uses Jetronic and EZ-Plus and its got its own section in the manual

the codes for multec dont always make sense so i'd check the book first

peester
17-06-05, 12:25 AM
mine used to do that; almost like a shift light isn't it..

im just tryin to remember how i got rid of it... erm i think it just went away tbh; i think it maybe to do with idle air control valve.. sod knows, im just guessing.

Lee H
17-06-05, 10:55 AM
My GSi does exactly the same and gives me fault code 36, don't know how to solve it so if anyone has any ideas let me know. Mine seems to miss a bit when the light is on as well. Getting code 47 too but according to topbuzz thats EGR valve which it doesn't have either?

Aragorn
17-06-05, 11:45 AM
46 and 47 im sure are the oil temperature sender

without getting the proper list of codes from the haynes book your not gonna get anywhere - so get down to halfords and get reading

Chris
17-06-05, 06:57 PM
My screen shot of how to test the ron plug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/Chris16v/screenshotforjules.jpg

Chris

Nick
17-06-05, 07:05 PM
the ring two eh chris ? "evaluation copy"

Sorry can't help jules - you could send the TPS back if you wanted :-D

Just ditch it all and get a pair of 40's !