PDA

View Full Version : Legal Advice

Nick
15-06-05, 06:35 PM
Right, Here's what has happened after i've taken my car to a garage twice (i usually do most of the easy jobs)

Slight rust in battery tray - He chopped it out and messily bodged a plate on. Now the plate has started to rust, the Burn't area's around the plate are rusting and it needs the whole panel cutting out.

Stub axel - He changed it and is making a horrific clicking sound/knocking sound, and he's bent the back plate and used the scrapyard Brake Shoes which came with the hub

As a result it's failed it's MOT on these two things (cockpit compromise and low braking power on rear wheel). Where do i stand legally ? as i'd paid a good ?70-80 for these two jobs to be done and now they're going to have to be done again !

Thanks Nick

ade
15-06-05, 07:00 PM
if hes a legit garage and you have receipts you can do the following -

1. Ask him "nicely" to fix the mistakes - most repairs from reputable garages should come with a guarantee. If he wont -

2. Take all docs and receipts to trading standards. You need proof that the car failed the MOT as a direct result of the work carried out. As a "legit" has a "duty of care" to its customers - (aka that episode when Phill Mitchell knackered that guys brakes) - you can take him to court for compensation as hes left you without a car - thus costing you more money...

If hes a small outfit you could see what they say - may be able to take him to small claims.

However - the way the British legal system is set up - by the time they get round to sorting it the cars gonna be totally rusted away.

For ?60 - youre prob better cutting your losses and getting it done properly - it'll cost you to lodge a small claims complaint and trading standards may doo feck all. Unless its a reputable garage in which case take em to court and threatem papers if you get no joy!

Rear brake shoes are easy to change over (see Haynes) and as for the area on the battery - it should have been sealed and sprayed to prevent it rusting - inside and out (means getting behind the dash)

ade

Nick
15-06-05, 07:07 PM
yer well i would have done the stub-axel myself but lack of time.

To repair this battery tray now is going to be a good ?200 from a proper body-shop, when it started off as a 2p size spot of rust (the car is pretty damn clean)

it was cash in hand No VAT so i have no receipts im afriad.

Cheers for the info ! Looks like i'l just have to get it done elsewhere , i have a nice 2 weeks untill my certificate expires anyway

Stuart
15-06-05, 07:26 PM
i think this will be a "live and learn" episode.

Nick
15-06-05, 07:43 PM
except for the last MOT it's a rare two times my car has been near a garage

i certainly wont be taking it to another one again !

Aragorn
16-06-05, 12:33 AM
only time ive taken my car near a "mechanic" was to stitch weld the engine bay when i fitted the 16xe and he has made a total arse of it, rust coming back thru and pidgeon shit welds

engines gonna have to come back out and it all needs sorted properly and resprayed :(

in my eyes most small garages are shite, there are very few honest places around these days and the honest places are normally a good bit dearer with the odd exception here and there