PDA

View Full Version : Painting & Windows Tints

notenuffhoursintheday
13-06-05, 09:02 PM
hey guys im currently painting my bumper ive read thru ades guide but i was just thinking would i be able to rub down with 2000 wet n dry inbetween each colour coat to get it even smoother or does it not really matter and just give the last coat a rub down before the laquer also is there a paint that does windo titns as i dont really wanna use the film and odnt wanna pay alot.

thanks

Dod
13-06-05, 09:05 PM
Give it a good rub down with the wet and Dry, it'll do no harm

As for the windows, dont bother with it, its crap stuff and car paint'll block it out completely or look crap. Go for the Film and get a Pro to do it, a far better job IMO.

epo
13-06-05, 09:06 PM
i was in the local motor factors (a.e. cooks) and they were selling the window tinting spray didnt see how much tho sorry but you can deffo get it

-tucny-
14-06-05, 10:02 AM
theres no need to use 2000 grit wet n dry between coats, u just want to keep it flat during that stage. use it on your final laquer coat though then compound and finish of with some G10 compound

boredbloke
14-06-05, 12:36 PM
the window tint spray is an arse imo it's too hard to get it even, and when you do all of a sudden you realise you've put on too much and the windows are highly illegal and you find u may as well have just used black paint instead.

iirc it's actually dearer than the tint film

Matt2107
14-06-05, 01:40 PM
personally im starting to think that tints are a bit lame.

ade
14-06-05, 06:33 PM
2000 grit is too fine - you need a small amount of dulling to allow each layer of paint to key onto the next layer - otherwise it'll just flake iff.

You shoud also apply the next layer of paint before the previous one fully dries - known as flashing - so that theres enough sticky left (but not solvent) for the next layer to flow into the previous one.

Once the paint has fully cured (24 - 48 hours in a well warm room or a week in a standard garage - depending on the paint you use and if you use IR heat lamps about 2 hours lol) you can then cut back gently using 1000-2000 grit with some cutting paste - you only want to take the shine off the surface or to flat some small areas of over spray/orange peel. Go easy though coz too much flatting and (depending on the colour) it'll look patchy.

Apply lacquer to the top coat (once flatted, degreased and dry and tack clothed) the same as you would do with paint but take it easy - you cant see lacquer and its thinner so WILL run quickly especuially on corners/curves etc. 3-5 coats will be fine and youre slightly cut back paint will turn into a lusterous deep gloss. For ultra shine buff up the lacque gently once fully cured...this will flat the lacquer (which is just a barrier to protect the paint) making it like glass...

8)

As for the spray tine - sh1te - only good for lights - even then its not that legal coz anything you tint over lights reduces their visibility!

On your windows - naff - unless its part of a glitter paint job or pearl - even then its a bit dodgy on windows.

Stick to foil sheet stuff but dont go too dark - u dont wanna look like a feckin chav and the police WILL pull you if they think the visibility is too low - remember you need to drive about in the dark - down a lane with no lights you aint gonna see nothing - especially an old granny pulling out on you in a side street - so how you gonna avoid her!

:lol: :roll:
Ade

Marc
15-06-05, 03:52 PM
see ade to the rescue!

:D :D

Dod
15-06-05, 10:15 PM
Ah, like a God showing us the erroe of our ways. Thank you oh wise Iron Bru drinking Ade.

ade
16-06-05, 06:39 PM
lol

cannae stand irn bru - rots yer innards and turns you p1ss orange!

:D

thank you for your comments kind sirs...

:wink:

Dod
16-06-05, 07:54 PM
cannae stand irn bru - rots yer innards and turns you p**s orange!

:lol:

Chris
17-06-05, 01:53 AM
. Go for the Film and get a Pro to do it, a far better job IMO.

I can get you a really good deal on pro tints if you travel over to selby

sickrabbit
17-06-05, 09:06 AM
We had a tin of this spray kickin round the crew room / mess when i worked in RAF ....the room was bathed in sunlight and became impossible to sit in on clear days , and as there wasnt any blinds our chargehand blatted the windows with it -
even tho the stuff was old it did a fine job -till security saw it - the senior officer made us clean it off stating that the room couldnt be observed from outside and therefore a security threat - he also remarked how silly such things were even to use in the proper pourpose - if you darken your motors windows , people think you,ve summat to hide ( ice ?? ) so expect a brick thru em.......( at least the " film " makes breaking and entry marginally more difficult -out of the two - Id, have em fitted proper -this aint an easy job.)

Gotta be honest I was tempted a while back to try and do me own in this manner , but its messy and tricky to get even ( so the forum told me ) and reflecting on what the security guy at the RAF base sed changed my outlook - so i opted for no tints whatsoever - and kept all steering locks , shifter lock and 2 alarms ( one for the boot ) leds well visible......you can even see the 6x9s clearly - cheapos mind....
horses for courses tho........