PDA

View Full Version : abyss front problems!

novaco
13-06-05, 06:15 PM
hi guys i have mounted my bumper eventualy but have major gaps on the corners.........what do i do fill these with extra fibre glass or are these the rusult of me mounting it incorectly??

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/novaco/Picture001.jpg

thanx for any help and advice!!

cheers Karl

-tucny-
14-06-05, 10:51 AM
if the bumpers mounted correctley to each wing and theres no gaps there, then it may just be the bumper thats not right which wouldnt be unusual as i doubt the manufacturer will have a quality control department.

easy way to fix the problem would be to extend the top section with fibreglass. a cheap hobby kit which you could get from halfords or motor world will sort it. cut some strips of matting and mix some resin up brush a small amount of resin on the underside of the top section and stick the matting to it to so it sticks out. then brush a small amount of resin or the matting - do this all the way around there the gap is.

once this has set you will had a solid enough layer to work on without making too much of a mess, mix some more resin and apply a few more layers of matting. brush the resin on and work it in to the matting.

once this has set, then its time to level the top off with bridgeing paste and filler. the resin in these fibre glass kits can stay a bit tacky so rub some dust from the sanded filler over any exposed areas.

hope this helps!

Matt2107
14-06-05, 01:03 PM
My rear bumper has had similar problems.

one of the best ways to do it is with the fibre glass as described above but i find that the first stage you should fibre glass in some really flexible mesh.

I know you can get it from halfords i think its in yellow packaging.

If you fibre glass this to the inside edge of the bumper then bend it flat at the top you will have a good strong base to either apply fibre glass to or filler.

The picture below shows a work in progress of an edge done the same way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/Fibreglassinsert.jpg

novaco
14-06-05, 03:44 PM
cheers!

will it work anybetter if i make my own mounting brakets as this is when i hav the gap dissappears???

if anyone has fitted an abyss front bumper can i please hav sum pics of there mountings or the way in which they have mounted the origonal iron!!

cheers karl!

boredbloke
14-06-05, 10:30 PM
cut a chunk out the middle!

then rejoin it.

sweet as

Matt2107
15-06-05, 01:34 PM
oops wrong picture.

here this is the right one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/modifiedrear1.jpg

novaco
15-06-05, 04:23 PM
cheers for the pics!!

any one got any mounting pics tho????

like of brackets or how they hav attached the iron?

dan-hipgrave
15-06-05, 04:34 PM
ok heres how mines done, cant get any pics cos its on the car lol

Inside the Abyss front, there were 2 sorta boxes of fibreglass and they both had holes in for bolts, so i unbolted the iron from my mk1 bumper and stuck 2 bolts through that and the fibregalss boxes and bolted the iron to the bumper that way.

Then either side of the abyss front, where the lip is that tucks into the front arch i drilled 2 holes each side and used self tappers to hold it into place.

novaco
15-06-05, 05:05 PM
cheers! is your iron countersunk into the boxes becoz on mine when i attach the iron to those boxes i hav a reeli and i meen reeli big gap :S do i just fill this aswel or should i countersink my iron into the boxes????

dan-hipgrave
15-06-05, 05:08 PM
erm cant remember to be honest mate, think the iron just bolted on and then that went on as per original bumpers..