PDA

View Full Version : redtop going in tomorow :-) ANY LAST MIN ADVICE OR TIPS????

nova_nutta
12-06-05, 10:03 PM
Hi again all

finally completed engine bay and got all parts i need for the conversion is there any last min advice or tips i might need??? any problems i may come across and how to fix???? PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW POST REPLEY and hopfully in the next few days there will be another 2.0 16v animal on the roads ;-)

Cheers all

Snowface
12-06-05, 11:13 PM
redtop going in tomorow :-) ANY LAST MIN ADVICE OR TIPS????

Yeah, don't do it lol.

There are a lot of people on Mig that have a lot of experiance with this conversion, there's probably a few posts in the last day or 2 about it.

Aragorn
12-06-05, 11:43 PM
yer i'll second the dont do it :)

and dont call it a bloody redtop either

its quite clearly silver for a start

and secondly wtf does a color have to do with the engine, if i painted the rocker cover on my 1.2i red it would be a "redtop", but its not a fecking c20xe is it!

and if your going to do it u NEED decent suspension with proper 2.0 rated front springs and at least 256mm ATE calipers and disks

nova_nutta
13-06-05, 01:31 AM
Why not call it a redtop? you knew what i meant and thats what most people call it . and yes im going todo it and if its so bad why are there 1000s out there ? well anyway ill let me lot know in the next few days how it goes ive spent too much for it not too and will let you lot know what i think about it in the next few days .

Mike.
13-06-05, 07:49 AM
its too damn common :lol:

-=VanMan=-
13-06-05, 10:39 AM
who gives a fuck how common it is

pounds - bhp you cant beat them

if you want to do it then do it, balls to all this be original :evil:

[rant over]

Aragorn
13-06-05, 11:19 AM
its just that imo its not all its cracked up to be

if u look at the times MOST of them were running at pod they were in mid 15's

ok there was a few folk who had them down to mid 14's which is better but still shite

wether tahts cos all the folk running 15's cant drive or have shit tires or whatever i dont know, but as an all round package i'd rather have a 1600 over a 2.0 any day of the week

an XE conversion is NOT cheap to do properly as theres lots of little things that add up to make it a decent conversion (for instance fitting proper front springs)

and for the money u'd spend doing that u could have a 1600 in similar state of tune and have a better drivers car at the end of it

the problem i find with a lot of people these days is they dont build their cars to drive them, they build them as a fashion statement, flash bodykits etc is a perfect example, its a case of "oooh look at me and my car" rather than building a machine which provides a good driving experiance, and being able to say "its got a redtop innit man" seems to add to the fashion appeal of the motor

and im not trying to say everyone should drive round in sheds with sorted handling or whatever, just that in my eyes spending 2 grand on a bodykit or massive wheels etc is a waste of money to me

Rick_Nova
13-06-05, 11:27 AM
end of the day you cant drive fast on these roads without getting caught anyway, so unless you do racing etc theres not much need for it? so there for styling cars isnt a waste of time in most peoples point of view

Aragorn
13-06-05, 11:36 AM
theres plenty of roads round me that are national speed limit and when u do get a good run along them without getting stuck behind idiots doing 40mph they are a great drive without breaking the 60mph limit

and my car isnt even particularly well setup

my bros car on coilovers and good tires etc with 1.2i motor is a hoot along the same roads simply because u can drive faster

he was glued to the back bumper of a fiesta xr2i last week along one of the roads and i later found out it was the 110bhp 1.8 16v engined model. the fez had shit brakes and shit tires and becuase of that he couldnt drive very quickly thru the bends even tho he had shitloads more power

i can drive my bros car and have more fun in that than i can in mine even tho ive got double the power simply becuase his drives soo much better

Lee
13-06-05, 02:26 PM
I know someone who collects stamps. Waste of time if you ask me but he seems to enjoy it.

Live and let live if you ask me. Thats the beauty of modding cars. If everyone just put a 1.6 in, the Nova community would be pretty boring if you ask me.

Aragorn
13-06-05, 03:48 PM
its got bugger all to do with stamps as u cant use a stamp collection in the same way u can use a car (or a boat or plane or whatever)

its a tool to use and unlike stamp collecting the fun comes from drving the vehicle (and in some ways the pleasure of building it yourself)

imo it HAS to be an all round package, and thats why my bro's car with half the power is in my opinion a better car to drive even tho mine would waste it down streights all day long

i do realise that for some people its about the styling side of things, but most end up taking it to the point where they can no longer drive the vhicle properly because their bumpers or whatever hit the ground at every oppertunity and its this i see as a total waste of money

in my opinion the power should be the last thing to really work on in a car. If it handles well and stops safely the power isnt really important as even a 1.2 can get you to licence losing speeds pretty quickly

_JH_
13-06-05, 06:23 PM
Oh my god, so what if he refers to the XE (as loads of people do) as a redtop? Grow up.

It's nice once again for someone to ask for advice then get slated for their choice of transplant. Well done.

And the third and final part of my rant, how can anyone go on about 1/4 mile dragstrip times as a sole comparison for the power of a car? I'm not a fan of big block engines (can I call them that? or must I list the engine codes individually?) either, but an XE powered car is a different animal to a 1.6. Not better, not worse, just different.

alxlaw
13-06-05, 06:38 PM
as always its nice to see people giving good advice to people who really need it! :x , so nova_nutta what have you learnt out of all this?, that people on here are so pedantic and childish that a simple question is left completely un answerd!!!... i say good luck to you mate your doing somthing i neva had the balls to do....n im stuck with a "dirty" 1.0 i wish i had the skills brains (and money) to do it

sorry not really my place to talk im sure ill get boll**** for it

rant over

novaboyopr
13-06-05, 08:22 PM
oiiiiii Aragorn-t m8ey!!!! You were replying to me before about getting 162 bhp out of my xe and you thought it was a load of bol**ks from what i have done but it seems to me that you cant take anyone else being better than you and taking on harder modifications than you could undertake!!! modifying is to preferance, if you want an xe, put an xe in or if u want a 1.2 keep it as a 1.2. Stop trying to put other people off bigger engines, if they have got the money and they want to spend it on a bigger engine and suspention then let them do it stop tryin to tell them it aint worth doing coz personnally i think that an xe in a nova is an ultimate tarmac terrorist and it should be done.

peester
13-06-05, 08:48 PM
lol @ this post; you ruined it - the lad wants some advice on fitting a 2.0 xe into his nova; not whether he shud do it or not.. too late for that.
My advice dude is the non-engine/direct parts, like aragon has mentioned, proper tailored front springs (theres a post recent in tech bout this) brakes, mounts, bolts - strong/solid engine bay; bodywork wise, all rust free and strengthened, also importantly - tyres...etc etc. All helps u get into those mid/late 14's..(1/4mile). You need mega money spent on 1.6's to get them into mid/late 14's..

Lee
13-06-05, 09:51 PM
well said :)

Aragorn
13-06-05, 11:40 PM
dans motor is a perfect example of a 1600 running low 14's and in reality was build for under about 3 or 4k all in

in my very first post i did provide an answer to his question and that was to ensure the suspension and brakes are upto scratch

and as for the whole

you cant take anyone else being better than you and taking on harder modifications than you could undertake!!!

im not trying to be cocky or wide etc but ive been around here for a long time now and i do tend to know my stuff when im providing information on things, if any the information im providing is in any way uncertain in my mind i will say so.

i do have a bias to small block novas and my opinions and views will reflect this, that doesnt mean i cant comprehend fitting an engine to a car, not exactly a very challenging task really mate now is it?

personnally i think that an xe in a nova is an ultimate tarmac terrorist and it should be done

and personally i think a properly sorted 1600 like dan or jims or even cp's 1400 would hump the majority of XE's including yours both round a track and on the road, hell even benjis 1.4 with 108bhp was all over 20xe's at donnington

anyway i cba wasting my time with this any more so thats all im saying on the matter

peester
14-06-05, 12:26 AM
dans motor is a perfect example of a 1600 running low 14's and in reality was build for under about 3 or 4k all in

yeah but not all of us have the wonderful mr. CP available.

in my very first post i did provide an answer to his question and that was to ensure the suspension and brakes are upto scratch

nah, fair play chap - i did see it, wasnt havin a dig. i just think u went off the point a smidge. Ur a cracker - there would be no 'tech' if its not for you mate, play on, play on.

SRimon
14-06-05, 01:20 AM
Aragon mate get of your high horse...

Fair enough keeping a 1.6 makes them handle a bit better, but to be honest if i wanted a FWD car that handled i'd buy another 205GTi, Nova's don't really handle that well period whatever engine is in it! I just love them anyway, and the idea that people will always think of them as a chav car and always want to race them make you want an XE more as the suprise element!

An XE Nova is an original pocket rocket, and my conversion has cost me ?700 all in, thats including having a Chrome Top engine (ooops not a red top :roll: = i.e. chrome rocker covers), an SBD manifold, super chip, and running a proven 166.7 bhp, along with 288mm discs, etc etc...so find me a 1.6 that runs that performance for that money....

XE Nova's are a good way to quick and easy power :D

justnovas
14-06-05, 09:13 AM
Hello
If you need any help you can phone me on
Paul
Just novas