PDA

View Full Version : funny noises from drivers front wheel

tom_beverley
11-06-05, 05:17 PM
I think it may have something to do with the brakes, but when I'm going forwards I get a rubbing noise (sounds a bit like a train) like something is catching then stopping. It gets faster when I speed up and slower when I slow down.

When I reverse the car it makes a horrible scraping/grinding sound from the same area, and when I brake as soon as the brakes come on there is a loudish clunk and then when I release the pedal there is another clunk. I messed about to see if it was anything to do with the suspension (balljoint etc) by braking gently so I don't put any stress on the suspension. It seems to be when the brakes just work and are released.

When going over any bumps in the road I can hear a knocking noise and can feel the vibrations on the accelerator pedal and the nearby floor area.

I've got Cav GSi brakes on if that helps.

Any ideas?

Tom

mikey14sr
11-06-05, 05:21 PM
check all the calliper bolts and make sure the anti-rattle springs on, could be the wheel bearing though.

Koop_sr
11-06-05, 05:40 PM
i am currently having a very similar problem.

Aragorn
11-06-05, 05:43 PM
either your calipers are loose or theres summat very wrong with the bottom suspension components imo

check the calipers are on tight (use a breaker bar or torque bar to tighten them)
check the balljoint to bottom arm mounting bolts, tie bar to cross member and bottom arm to chassis bolts are all tight (again torque bar set to correct torques or a breaker bar)

ensure the wheel bolts are tight and that the disk guards arent touching the disks

alxlaw
11-06-05, 06:05 PM
could it not be a cv problem?, i remember when the cv boot came off my fez it made similar noises that unfortunatly destroyed my cv and car coz all the grease came out n subciquently heated up the joint at high speed and then snapped, causing the drive shaft to stick thru the wheels!!! wahey!! but its probably not that anyway :lol:

anothernovagirl
12-06-05, 12:10 PM
Same problem for me at the moment too! I'm going to replace the wheel bearing as we've just done the brakes and that's not helped.

Philsutton
12-06-05, 12:14 PM
what about the dust guard or what ever its called behide the disc, if thats been knocked then it'll rub on the disc making a very nasty noise. Thats what mine was when i had a weird noise from the front