PDA

View Full Version : wiring a rev counter on a 1.2 carb

cruisingscotland
10-06-05, 12:35 PM
hey folks,just wondering how i do this? do i have to run a wire from the gearbox or anything?can i get some info on this,got an aftermarket rev counter just wanting to wire this in any help apretiated thanx

dan-hipgrave
10-06-05, 12:55 PM
have a look in the plug behind your clocks, and if you see a green wire just taped up and not used then run that to your rev counter as it will be the signal from the ignition coil.

If not, then you will have to run a wire to the bottom right connector of your ignition coil.

cruisingscotland
10-06-05, 01:34 PM
just had a look theres no green wire behind the clocks,and on the ignition coil theres one red and 2 blacks so do i have to run a wire from one of them

dan-hipgrave
10-06-05, 01:40 PM
no there should be an empty connector - the bottom right one, just crimp a spade connector onto your wire and then push that onto the connector.

cruisingscotland
10-06-05, 01:42 PM
ah right i see,then just run the wire to the revcounter

cruisingscotland
10-06-05, 01:47 PM
ive got a set of sr clocks aswell but i tryed fitting them and the plug dont fit do i have to get the plug from the actuall sr for them to work?

Snowface
10-06-05, 08:11 PM
there are 2 types of plug. (mk1 and mk2 afaik).

As has been said, run wire to bottom right of coil to the back of the clocks.

Aragorn
10-06-05, 11:44 PM
im sure all mk1 plugs are different and u need the one from the car the dash came from

ie a 6dial GTE plug wont power a standard 3 dial clock set

Snowface
11-06-05, 09:57 AM
i had standard speedo clocks in my 1.2, i bought some GTE 6 - dial ones and they plugged straight in and worked propper, all i needed was to run wire from coil for rev-counter.

cruisingscotland
11-06-05, 03:22 PM
i got the rev counter wired up so thanx for the help,im guessing i need the plug for the back of the sr clocks for them to fit tho so ill just leave them for now i think but thanx anyway

Aragorn
11-06-05, 05:38 PM
why are u having problem with the plug?

do u have a mk1 with mk2 clocks or vice versa?

as snowface has said mk1 plug should fit mk1 sr dials just fine

so unless uve got dials from a mk2 and are trying to fit them to a mk1?

cruisingscotland
13-06-05, 02:05 PM
mrk 2 dials,trying to get them in a mrk 2,the plug wont fit the back of it

dan-hipgrave
13-06-05, 05:01 PM
Yeh you've probably got the smaller plug which lower specced models had. You need to get the plug from an SRi/GSi to fit the clocks matey.