PDA

View Full Version : Towing

Dave
10-06-05, 12:19 PM
right have a question i'm not sure of so here goes!
if i'm towing a car with no tax/mot on a rigid bar can i put my rear number plate over the other cars rear plate (so it's a basically a trailer) or would i have to get trade plates for it?

dooooney
10-06-05, 12:37 PM
i dunno m8 when i got my nova i towed it down the m5 for ages and no 1 pulled me up i had no mot or no tax just stay under the speedlimit u should b fine

NovalutionGSi
10-06-05, 12:41 PM
Dave, got yourself on to www.eoecruiseforum.com

they have a section there where the police answer question like that. at least you'll get it from the horse mouth so to speak! Plus its also sort of your area as well! :wink:

Riggy
10-06-05, 01:00 PM
dave mate if you find anythin out can you let us know as i often tow cars with my tow bar and have wondered about the legality a few times lol

Matt2107
10-06-05, 01:08 PM
Whatever you find out Dave, get it in writing just incase.

NovalutionGSi
10-06-05, 01:25 PM
hence why i've given him the link, the copper on there is an alright guy really. and of cause he can then print off what he finds out! :wink:

Jack
10-06-05, 02:21 PM
Dave, got yourself on to www.eoecruiseforum.com

they have a section there where the police answer question like that. at least you'll get it from the horse mouth so to speak! Plus its also sort of your area as well! :wink:
That actually sounds like a good idea, having a section of a forum where police can answer questions from members...

Dave
10-06-05, 02:39 PM
Yup will let you know carl :wink:

NovalutionGSi
10-06-05, 02:48 PM
not sure if many of your members would be into "cruises" etc but here in the east we have a partnership with the police to hold legal events called the EACP.

the police have been invited on there, give us the heads up on any areas that they will be clamping down on and what it is they are looking for. they offer some legal advice as much as they can really. but the only prob is that with a national site like this you have all the countys to take into account!

Chris
10-06-05, 03:16 PM
you should have trades plates on it mate. If the driven wheels are touching the floor and the gearbox is turning then it needs to be legal. In the past I have used a A-frame which fastens to the TCA's and goes onto a toxbar and the car is then towed without a driver, in reality the car is acting as a trailer, but they still need to be insured, tax'd and mot'd. But, I have covered probably in excess of 2000 miles moving cars with no mot or tax on the frame and never got into any bother.

Chris

nova---chris
10-06-05, 03:51 PM
Hmm im pretty sure the car should be totally of the road. I could be wrong. But i cant see anyone giving you much hassle if on a A frame or something. Theres a few sites which have the rules of towing ect ect on here. As ive been looking up myself.

Only wanted to brake 1 axle of my trailor. but turns out i have to brake both. dohh! not like its ever gonna get found out i suppose

all good fun!

Ste_Nova
10-06-05, 05:46 PM
car needs to be legal for this

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/trackerpg.jpg

where as this only needs legal rear tyres

http://www.maywoodgarageequipment.co.uk/pro_tow_dolly2.jpg

Dave
12-06-05, 10:39 AM
right the police folk say it's illegal for driving with it being towed behind as a trailer,
but can be driven to an mot station (and to the point where it'll be fixed) with no tax/mot ASLONG as it's pre-booked in

wonder what would happen if it was prebooked then never turned up??

Phil_G
12-06-05, 11:15 AM
They would probably require a copy of the certificate or failure sheet, or some evidence you attended the station.

Phil

Ste_Nova
13-06-05, 08:38 AM
you can also drive it to where it's gonna be fixed after an mot fail

Dave
13-06-05, 09:56 AM
if you read what i put it does say thet ste