PDA

View Full Version : fitting gte engine help

nova ian
09-06-05, 06:21 PM
hey people, just wondering if anyone on here could answer me a couple of questions

i am planning on fitting a gte engine into my 1.2spi nova. first thing, are all the electrics under the bonnet and plug into the original loom or does the dash have to be removed?

secondly will the driveshafts fit the hubs that are on my nova at the moment?

and finally, i know i will need another petrol tank, but do i need a fuel pump aswell or is there one built in the gte tanks?

thanks alot people, appreciate any help anyone can offer :D

Koop_sr
09-06-05, 09:56 PM
Were you from in notts?????????? (off topic)

mowgli
11-06-05, 04:32 PM
the driveshafts will fit
the wiring is all there (apart from the one to the fuel pump)
the fuel tank does need swapping and the electric fuel pump needs fitting.
there should be 2 funny looking holes in the chassis in front of the tank. you can get captive nuts from the vaux dealer for pence, and fit the pump assembly in minutes.
new pipes are a must.

if you are reasonably competent with electrics it should be fairly easy

Aragorn
11-06-05, 05:47 PM
the wiring is all there (apart from the one to the fuel pump)
the fuel tank does need swapping and the electric fuel pump needs fitting.
there should be 2 funny looking holes in the chassis in front of the tank. you can get captive nuts from the vaux dealer for pence, and fit the pump assembly in minutes.
new pipes are a must.

thats all wrong, its an injection car so it will already have the fuel pump wiring and the tank etc

just get an intank mpi pump from a cavalier or astra or vectra etc and fit that to your nova tank (u may need to shorten it slightly), its FAR easier than changing tanks and the pumps are easier to get at too

the spi lines are also perfectly fine for gte engine

wiring is all there but the spi loom is integrated into the car loom, u will need to either wrap it up out the way somewhere or cut it all off and unplug the ecu, the wires required to power the GTE ecu can all be found under the glovebox at the ECU, do not use any from the engine loom itself as you'll only create yourself problems

mowgli
12-06-05, 03:30 PM
I must apologise.
I hadn't actually noticed the spi bit..

But I would still stand by fitting the whole fuel system.
it takes all of 1/2 hour to swap tanks.
the gte motor is from a high performance model and the tank is designed specially for it.

From what I gather, the spi is much lower fuel pressure than the mpi, so I would fit new pipes purely from a safety point of view

I've done the gte engine swap in three different cars, usually single handedly. the first time, there wasn't even a haynes manual to cover the gte, so I had to strip out the old loom to single wires & work back.

skud52
12-06-05, 03:36 PM
you dont need an in tank fuel pump :?

just fit the gte pump to the original fuel pump bracket.

and even if it weas a carb you wouldn't need to change the tank :!: just mount the fuel pump else where

nova ian
13-06-05, 03:43 PM
thanks people, thats cleared up a few things i wasnt to sure about. cheers.

ian

Aragorn
13-06-05, 03:54 PM
the fuel pipes are exactly the same on spi and mpi models on corsas etc so thats really not an issue as long as they ar the blue nylon ones which they should be

every corsa/vectra/astra and a lot of cavs have the same internal pump setup as nova 1.2i's cept they have a different pump on the mpi models, fitting the mpi pump to a nova tank works perfectly well and imo is safer as theres no pump hanging off the rear of the car

you only need the GTE loom upto the multiplug beside the wiper motor and the 6 wires from there need attached to the coresponding wires in the car

and dont try to use a carb tank with gte external pump as u get fuel surge issues once u get below 1/4 tank which really is annoying and could damage the engine and pump

_JH_
13-06-05, 06:07 PM
as long as they ar the blue nylon ones which they should be

GTE lines are made up of flexi rubber fuel hose and steel pipe. Whether you've seen different or not, that's how they came.

Philsutton
14-06-05, 11:52 AM
you dont need an in tank fuel pump

just fit the gte pump to the original fuel pump bracket.

and even if it weas a carb you wouldn't need to change the tank just mount the fuel pump else where

actually ben the fuel pump inside the tank on the spi an therefore you will need to swap tanks or change the pump instead if just puttig the GTE pump on

Aragorn
14-06-05, 04:47 PM
and he doesnt have a GTE, he has a 1.2i which comes fitted with blue nylon hoses like every other modern vauxhall be it MPI or SPI

the nylon hoses can take 3 bar just fine, and dont rot like the steel GTE ones do.

if it had been a carb car (like mine was) with the old yellow/brown plastic pipes i would have replaced them with the nylon ones tho (and thats exactly what i did on mine) as the old pipes arent designed for a high pressure fuel system.

no point making the job harder and more expensive by swapping fuel tanks and lines etc.
just fit the mpi pump to the spi tank and leave everything else as it is.

plus its much easier to find the mpi pumps in a scrappy than it is to find the external units if the pump fails at a later date

_JH_
14-06-05, 05:57 PM
lol, so which MPi pumps were not external? It must be different up north, but down here the external MPi pump found on cavaliers, astras etc is everywhere in scrap yards

Aragorn
14-06-05, 08:23 PM
finding older cavs and astra2's up heres becoming very rare mate (well the high spec efi models anyway)

my local scrappys huge and it has 2 or 3 novas tops these days, and about a million corsas astra 3's etc

cavs after h or J plate switched to internal pumps too so even the cavs they have are mostly intank pumps

i think due to the higher use of salt up here means cars rot quicker, and that means higher turnaround in scrappies, i looked for months for an external pump and every car that came into scrappys which wouldve had one all had no pumps on em

regardless of availability its surely easier just to remove a pump from an astra3 mpi and drop it into the nova tank than to start hauling the whole tank out and replacing fuel lines etc

mowgli
14-06-05, 08:53 PM
All I've ever done for fuel pipes is go to the local truck spares place & get new pipe (That is fuel friendly) standard lorry nylon air pipe is good for 12 bar. you can get kunifer (same stuff as brake pipes) in big enough diameter for the fuel system, cut & bend it and flare the ends and make fantastic fuel lines.
I have only ever had one failed in line pump, and that was due to using a carb type tank (I was too skint to get a gte one) I simply hunted round the scrappy for a bosch inj car & got one. I think it was off a manta, it still works after ten years