PDA

View Full Version : Corsa rear brakes conversion

raver
09-06-05, 05:19 PM
My mates runing a 2ltr corsa he's got uprated front brakes now he wants the rear changing from drums to disks. As im not into my corsa's is there a corsa rear beam he can use if so which one? if not what beam could he use.
cheers

Stoo
09-06-05, 05:23 PM
None of the corsas came with rear discs IIRC
Use a standard rear beam, redrill the PCD and use astra hubs and stub axles, with the discs and calipers too!

_JH_
09-06-05, 06:05 PM
redrill the PCD

yeah, don't forget to redrill the PCD, lol

But before you do, there is a thick plate welded to both beams where the stub axle is bolted. I would carefully cut them off and weld the astra/cavalier one to the nova beam, and redrill the beam using the holes of the plate as your guide. Either that or make up new plates out of the same gauge steel.

I think there are a couple of guides on novaland.(whatever it is)

Stoo
09-06-05, 06:11 PM
Along those lines! Just more detail than mine lol!

Dod
09-06-05, 08:49 PM
Use a standard rear beam, redrill the PCD and use astra hubs and stub axles, with the discs and calipers too!

Dont SRi Cavalier items just bolt straight in place?? :roll:

Philsutton
11-06-05, 09:37 PM
think if the car has abs then you need to g about it a different way. We have a customer you wanted rear discs an had abs so ended up using corsa c rear brake set up.

Aragorn
12-06-05, 12:04 AM
im sure u can simply use the disk assemblies from a astra gsi or 2.0 cav with abs?

afaik all vauxhalls use the same bosch abs system anyway

Philsutton
12-06-05, 12:05 PM
im not to sure myself but i think that the astra stuff was looked at but for some reason it wasnt possible to use an thats why the corsa ones were used. Shall have to see why that was the case.

dan23
12-06-05, 04:14 PM
the new corsa sri 1.8 has rear discs its either 04 or 05 reg

Philsutton
12-06-05, 08:45 PM
i know thats the ones i was on about

Dod
12-06-05, 09:05 PM
All the local boys over here say any 2.0l Cavs apart from the GSi, the rear discs and hubs are a direct swap. Apparently all you need is the Cav Long handbrake cable and your hoses made to fit.

Philsutton
12-06-05, 09:08 PM
they wont be a straight swap, you will still need to make a plate up with a different bolt pattern on

Dod
12-06-05, 09:25 PM
Dont think so, i know the disc shield'll need binning but apart from that its a straight swap from what i've been told. I'll double cheak. I know the later shape Vectra ones wont fit.

_JH_
13-06-05, 05:53 PM
Dont think so, i know the disc shield'll need binning but apart from that its a straight swap

:lol:

I'd be very interested to see which cavalier setup is supposed to be a straight swap. I've done the rear disc conversion with cavalier, astra and vw golf items. I can tell you they are not a straight swap.

Your comment about binning the disc sheild makes me think you're getting confused with the front cavalier brakes, which swap straight over, where a lot of people bin the shield.

Dod
13-06-05, 08:50 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm, ponder ponder ponder :roll:

Ste_Nova
14-06-05, 12:03 AM
i'd be trying on a full corsa c beam setup

Aragorn
14-06-05, 12:26 AM
corsa c sri has irs

justnovas
14-06-05, 09:42 AM
I have fitted the astra G rear discs off the turbo on to a corsa c,
The cavs with abs need a 60mm hole for the abs to go in on the axle that is why we used the corsa c set up on a corsa gsi.

Ste_Nova
14-06-05, 06:48 PM
corsa c sri has irs

yeh yeh yeh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/yehyehyeh.jpg

Aragorn
14-06-05, 08:28 PM
so it doesnt have IRS?

i mentioned using corsa c stub axles for a nova conversion before and someone told me they wouldnt fit as the corsa c has IRS

i dont have a working copy of new EPC so i cant see new pics like that

justnovas
15-06-05, 09:10 PM
The corsa C stubs will bolt on to the nova axle.

Aragorn
16-06-05, 12:22 AM
do the stub axles need redrilled for the corsa c stuff?

if so will the cav bolt pattern do or will i have to drill my own?

might look into this a bit more as direct fit 4 stud rear disks with caliper acutated handbrake sounds good to me ;)

how much do the back plate and caliper assemblies go for 2nd hand as i guess they are a bit rare??

_JH_
16-06-05, 10:30 AM
you should never redrill the stub axle, only redrill the mounting plate on the beam axle itself.

Have you thought of using the mk2 golf setup? If you do make sure you get either 2 early calipers or 2 late ones. My local scrappy charged me ?30 for a complete mk2 golf rear disc axle, and I've also bought the stub axle's calipers, bearings etc of eBay before, think it was ?36 inc. p+p.