PDA

View Full Version : gears.......

ldk_nova
09-06-05, 05:16 PM
ive got this problem with my car, its been happening for a while now and i figure i better sort it before it gets worse.

Bascailly, i cant get my gear into reverse and 5th! 1 and 3 go in but just about but even they dont go in half the time!!!

what has happend afew times is ive been driving like taht and all of a sudden they all start going in, but then they are abit fridgit and revese useally grindes but goes in,

Im thinking it might be the remote of the gear which connnects to gear stick being too small, but then i dont understand why they go in at times.

anyone put some light on this please?

Stuart
09-06-05, 05:38 PM
get the haynes manual out and follow the linkage realignment routine. if that dosent fix it then you have something more sinister to contend with.

Cassie-Nova
09-06-05, 05:51 PM
take the rubber gear urround of n have a look! I found a 2p coin sort of wedged so it made 2nd > 1st or any Neutral > Reverse a bit tricky. What mk n year is your Nova? Mines a C Reg n my car is right pain when it comes to 2nd gear until the chokes in, even then sometimes its a bit sticky!

ldk_nova
09-06-05, 05:51 PM
ive had them relinked... but there was no difference....

dunova
09-06-05, 06:31 PM
When i fitted a new gearbox to my gsi i couldn't get reverse or 5th and it was because i hadn't re-fitted that white plastic bit on the gear linkage properly. If you look from the engine bay down around your gearbox it'll be down there-make sure that's tight and fitted properly.

Dod
09-06-05, 08:47 PM
When i fitted a new gearbox to my gsi i couldn't get reverse or 5th and it was because i hadn't re-fitted that white plastic bit on the gear linkage properly. If you look from the engine bay down around your gearbox it'll be down there-make sure that's tight and fitted properly.

Dunova hit the nail on the head. Its exactly what it is. I had the same problem with mine. Its a small white plastic grommit that fits over one part of the gear linkage and into another part. Vauxhall dont do them any more but to be honest its a bastard to fit it anyway, so best bet is to get a set of second hand linkages instead. The Corsa item wont fit in either. Good luck mate

ldk_nova
09-06-05, 08:48 PM
ill have a look now.. dont think it had a white plastic thing tho..

mines a creg too, except its a 16v with a f20..

Dod
09-06-05, 08:58 PM
ill have a look now.. dont think it had a white plastic thing tho..

Could be your problem then!! :lol:

ldk_nova
09-06-05, 08:58 PM
gah had a look, cant see anything, going to have to jack it tomarow or get it on a ramp... hope it is only that.. thanks guys.

ldk_nova
17-06-05, 12:26 PM
well its been checked, seems like i need a new linkage, other one is worn and way too much play ..off to scrappers to find a nova with 5gears and hopefully should sort it..

Aragorn
17-06-05, 12:28 PM
i had this problem too

theres a white plastic ball joint with a rubber band round it, the rubber band nd moved down off the bottom of the joint and was stopping the linkage tilting from side to side as it should

Dod
17-06-05, 09:55 PM
i had this problem too

theres a white plastic ball joint with a rubber band round it, the rubber band nd moved down off the bottom of the joint and was stopping the linkage tilting from side to side as it should

Yeah thats the one, went to my Local Opel Dealer and they said itd not available anymore. Is that true?

ldk_nova
28-06-05, 12:11 PM
so i got a new linkage and had it replced, but ive still got the same problem!!!

i feel like pulling my hair out now!!

ive been driving in gear '1,3,5' for too long and its bloody annoying !!!
doesnt go in 2,4 at all!!!

possible it could be the gear box itself?

Dar
28-06-05, 01:57 PM
Sounds to me like you haven't turned the plastic bit around on where the gear linkage meets the gearbox. I always find that piccys are best so here you go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC03647.jpg
Its not that clear but, you see that white plastic bit. Its turned 180 degrees so that the linkage is made slightly longer.

ldk_nova
28-06-05, 03:31 PM
mmm looking at that picture, i dont think mine has one of them, doesnt it come with the linkage as standard?

or will i have to get one? frm where?>.

Dar
28-06-05, 03:49 PM
All that is standard. I don't see how you could have connected the box up if you didn't have it.

One the gearbox side you would have just had a fork with a pin though. On the Nova side you would have that little plastic bit that attaced to the Nova box but because you have a F20 box in there you need to turn the little plastic bit around 180degrees so that it will all work properly. If you can post up a piccy of your linkage. Like I have done with mine, your problem may become a bit clearer to us.

ldk_nova
09-07-05, 02:39 PM
so i got it working for abit ..

the porblem i have now is that when im driving and chainging gear it feels like im moving the whole exhast system ( directly under gear stick) as i shift gears ...

whem im dirving casually all gears go in, but if im driving fast to 6ooorpm, 3rd and fifth dont go in...

assuming this is beacuse the engine moves quite abit....

doni_nova12
15-07-05, 01:25 AM
one o ma pals had this problem on his corsa, didnt hve reverse or fith, the rubber on the linkage had snapped indise, so it just slippe dout every time you tried to come outside the gearbox( rev or 5th) so it woudnd connect, so it jsu simply done nothing, look for any cracks or anythin and see if its slipping to far if its possible