PDA

View Full Version : leccy windows...

MattNova
08-06-05, 01:54 PM
how much hassle would it be to fit electric windows to a mk1 nova (no centre consol) and has this been done before??

any help appreciated.

cheers Matt

MattNova
08-06-05, 02:11 PM
also, how easy would it be to fit a centre consol (and how would it look if i did)??

cheers

Aragorn
08-06-05, 02:26 PM
seen as the switches are normally housed in the center console u'd be best to fit one

and it would look just like any nova nova with a center console?

if u get the complete loom its a piece of piss to wire in too

MattNova
08-06-05, 03:04 PM
well this is what ive been told

it includes both motors and attachments, the electric window switches and a fair amount of wiring from the multiplugs. You will need to wire them in to your car, using a live feed (then you wont need the igniton on to operate the windows!)

does that sound like everything (im not sure what the loom is thats why im asking)

Nick
08-06-05, 09:00 PM
ask for some pictures

By loom he means the collection of wires (usually wrapped up in reems of black insulation tape) that goes underneath the carpet and trim.

I.e all the wires between the Switches and the Electric Window Motors - When this is placed rougly on the floorplan it takes all the right wires to the right places.

Usually the Loom comes combined with the Central locking wiring, unless the car was an early mk1 with Electric windows only. It may be worth buying a kit witht he CL solenoids as well, then you kill two birds with one stone.

personally i wouldn't touch it, i'd go and source or buy a kit with a complete loom that's been disconnected from the plugs. Then it's dead straight forwards to wire up (connecting plugs together)

but saying that, if your competant with electrics then the window regulators are very easy to wire up/ make your own loom

MattNova
09-06-05, 08:00 AM
cheers for the advice nick and i think that i will take it, i have found someone selling a complet central locking and electric windows kit with the centre consol, think that im maybe going to go for that. he's currently getting me some pics of it aswell.

cheers all

excorsafan
09-06-05, 08:52 AM
i just bought a nova and its a 1.3 sr f reg and has electric windows. Do they normally or not because im thinking of taking these out because i need to change the doors.

MattNova
09-06-05, 11:58 AM
here is a pic of the controls for the windows off the bloke selling just the windows, is that the loom in the bottom left corner??

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/521/img05423uv.th.jpg (http://img36.echo.cx/my.php?image=img05423uv.jpg)

any ideas??

Mel
09-06-05, 02:11 PM
In the bottom left hand corner that's the connector for the wiring loom to be connected into once all in position.

Btw, MK2 switches as well :wink:

MattNova
09-06-05, 03:06 PM
he has told me that the Loom is not included but he has said

"the whole loom isnt included (as part of it runs with other wiring) but I have included enough to wire it into the fuse box or run it to a live feed if you want the windows to work without using the key (very handy!!) I would guess about 12" from each multiplug, so you would need to extend the feed and earth accordingly"

how does that sound??

Mel
09-06-05, 03:31 PM
Depends if the loom that is added has the connectors included in it.

If its one of the looms that are connected to everything, it is doubtful that it has all of the connectors? I am unsure though..

Best to get pics of the loom/connectors etc, otherwise, if the connecters on the loom are missing, you'll have to wire it yourself..

If it is just a bunch of wires with none of the connectors, I personally wouldn't touch it cause I don't know where he got the wires from, or how to connect the bloody things without the simple "plug and play" type wires lol

MattNova
09-06-05, 04:10 PM
mel,

i think that you may have mis-read, the loom is not included, jus a bnch of wires, but im e-mailing him now for pics

anyone else??

Koop_sr
09-06-05, 07:05 PM
Does the console go in the middle of the car just infront of gearstick ?

MattNova
10-06-05, 08:00 AM
yeah it does, the mk2's have got them standard, mk1 haven't.

Lee
10-06-05, 03:39 PM
You dont necessarily need the centre consol, you can put em where you want with a bit of imagination. Mine ended up here when i removed my centre consol..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Bottlethroddy/IMAG0002.jpg

NovalutionGSi
10-06-05, 03:48 PM
aint that a pain in the arse thou Lee? well it would be to me, i mean 6ft4+ Nova= Knees round ears, so i'd never get to the switch!

did any Mk1s have elecy windows?

Lee
10-06-05, 04:08 PM
Youd be surprised actually, ive foud they are less awkward to get at than the standard swithches in the girlfriends SR. In fact if i take her car out, im always groping the side of the dash for the switch :lol:

MattNova
12-06-05, 10:15 AM
lee,

i like the idea, i was thinking bout not fitting the centre consol, and maybe mounting the switched on the doors when i make my custom door cards.

so pepole...do we think that this would be a good buy, the fact that there is no loom is probably a big factor in the decision, but at the end of the day i wouldn't be wiring them in. im not very good with electronics (part form I.C.E) i would take it to the garage.

is it a good deal??

Aragorn
12-06-05, 11:38 AM
if your not even gonna make an attempt at doing it yourself your gonna get absolutely shafted by a garage to wire it in as most charge extortionate rates for auto electricians

if u had the correct loom then it would be plug and play so much easier and there fore less time required and so much cheaper in the end

Jim
12-06-05, 12:05 PM
Can you not source a loom from a scrapyard?

Jim

Nick
12-06-05, 03:46 PM
just buy a complete kit with a complete loom

occasionally you'l find someone who ahsn't acrted like a complete retard and has simply unplugged it all and hasn't had the urge to chop it into tons of bits.

if not i can amke you a wiring diagram from the electric windows only, or if you pay me i'l get some wires and make you a loom.

MattNova
13-06-05, 07:07 AM
Wel from the sounds of things, i think that its probably best if i dont get the kit from him and keep my eyes open for someone selling the whole thing, with Loom.

wel the reason that i was going to get a garage to do it "Aragorn" was only because i know a bloke that has his own garage and he does all work on my car realy cheap.

cheers for the advice though all.

Matt