PDA

View Full Version : 1.3SR HELP

excorsafan
08-06-05, 12:15 PM
hi guys ive just bought a nova after owning a cavalier for a few months. I use to have a nova before but never passed my test while i had it so i sold it. What i would like to know is on my cavalier i have 16 inch alloys and want to put them on my nova how much am i looking at at having the arches done to accept these the nova is lowered 40mm on a spax suspension kit

so how much to have arches done and does anybody know where to get them done in the south east london area also will it make the car handle better or worse with these on at the moment its got 15s on it?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Barn
08-06-05, 12:48 PM
i had a nova with bilstein shocks, -40mm springs, 15 inch alloys and 45 profile tyres. it wasn't too bad ride-quality-wise.

but obviously if you fit 16's its going to be worse ride quality but will look better.

the handling of my Nova with this setup was awesome, if I had had the camber done I would have been laughing but never got around to it.

personally, if I was going to have another Nova I wouldnt want to lose thie handling because it was pretty shit hot in all fairness.

I would have it -60mm on 15's with 50 profile tyres and again use good shockers. it didnt look low enough on -40mm.

No idea where in london though and how much with the arch thing. Have heard horror stories of it costing about ?40 per arch! Fcuk that, do it yourself.

Most important is that you get the correct offset wheels for the car as if you get wheels with the offset way out it will only make things worse to start with. You are looking for as close to ET49 as possible with ET45 generally regarded as the limit.

excorsafan
08-06-05, 02:45 PM
cheers mate ill go with the 40mm drop and 15s because i will have to carry people in the back as well so doing the arches your self is it easy i dont mind paying 40 an arch just get one a month done lol with the arches done will it definetly not catch with 15s and 3 up in tha back?

cheers for you reply barn

Aragorn
08-06-05, 06:39 PM
if the alloys are the correct offset and the tyres are right it should be fine

but certain tyre profiles (usually 50profiles especially if the sidewall is bulgy) can catch on the inner arch on the back

if the offset is miles out they will almost definately catch on the outer arch lips

Barn
08-06-05, 07:00 PM
yeah 50's on the back may catch a little bit but I'd put up with it personally as the ride quality will be better

I didnt have any scrubbing with two fat b*stards in the back when mine was -40mm, 15's and 45 profiles so I would say that 50's 'shouldnt' be too bad....but then I am guessing as I havent tried it.

it goes without saying that either way with 16's...it will be worse due to their increased size

Rick_Nova
08-06-05, 07:49 PM
i had scrubbing on the back of inner arches, did my head in! withonly one person in, got a garage too bang it out a bit !now can have a full house and no scrubbing at all,!

MyNovaSr
10-06-05, 01:50 PM
Ive got 16's on my nova with a 60mm drop. Rubbed a little till I got the shox done. Now I have no trouble apart from the bone rattleing ride lol.