PDA

View Full Version : Pic request - austins RWD nova

TWAG
06-06-05, 11:53 PM
Somehow i nether got to see this car, although it was the one car i really wanted to see.

Ant pics would be great.

Dave
07-06-05, 12:31 AM
these were all i got of it that were without peoples heads apearing in the way!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/POLLARD/NOVALOAD/d675fda2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/POLLARD/NOVALOAD/2acc3659.jpg

Riggy
07-06-05, 12:34 AM
i have a few ill get then uploaded in the morn :lol:

burgo
07-06-05, 12:39 AM
it was a tad hard to get any where near it

Austin_Nova16
07-06-05, 08:35 AM
got a couple from that pic site...

http://www.blackettphotography.com/Vaux%202-2.30/images/IMG_8500.jpg

http://www.blackettphotography.com/Vaux%2012-1/images/IMG_8317.jpg

Ben
07-06-05, 09:54 AM
What times did you get austin? And how heavy is the car now?

Aragorn
07-06-05, 12:34 PM
not meaning to slate you but the times i saw didnt seem great

a car with RWD and 190bhp/ton (ie 150bhp and 800kgs) should be in the low 14's

i think the best i saw was 14.7ish when u should really be looking at nearer 14.2 and thats with standard engine which yours is not

you should have been in the 13's imo

was there room for improvement or was that all it had??

Will F
07-06-05, 12:44 PM
Looking at the carbs, I am guessing that it has more than 150 bhp!
I saw a 14.8, so nothing special there.

I would imagine that it has plenty left!!

Aragorn
07-06-05, 12:49 PM
i know its on carbs which is why i said it shouldve been in the 13's

NovaNeil
07-06-05, 12:52 PM
I think Austin Ran Late 13's when the engine was in the front if I remember correctly... and it was 200bhp odd. And I saw him run a 14.5 on sunday, so I'd say that about what i'd expect, He's obviously done a very good engineering job of converting it, and of course there's a lot more weight involved now, and not forgetting more Transmission loss.
I remember last year running against that 106 with the 240bhp RSTurbo lump in the back (Silver with black rims) and that was running low 14's. You've got to rememeber these cars haven't been built to go fast in a straight line.... they've been built to go sideways :P :twisted: :D

Neil

Ben
07-06-05, 12:52 PM

So what should mongo been getting on TB's then as he only managed around mid 14's.

Chris T with his proven 200BHP and straight cut box with a very light car managed 13.8 so Austins times arent out the way.

Sean ran 14.6 with not as modified engine as austins but will weigh a couple of hundred kilos lighter!

Jim
07-06-05, 01:25 PM
From what I heard and saw, Austin was having trouble with the car throughout the day. I believe he ran a low 14's at one point during the day.

I think this was his first outing on the strip since doing the work to the car so there was bound to be teething troubles.

Austins car is amazing, all credit to Austin for having a go at the conversion. As Neil said, it's not been built to go in a straight line.

Jim

Austin_Nova16
07-06-05, 01:28 PM
Well It was my first outing in the car, and I thought it went well. Just got it running on the Friday aswell?
I did take it out for a spin back in January, but found loads of problems, which are nearly all gone now.

My fastest run of the day was 14.580 @94mph. Some may think this slow, but I was having some issues with timing, wheel alignment (which is now nearly sorted) and my clutch. I thought that it was quite promising though, and will hopefully be in the mid 13?s at USC. Top of 3rd and 4th I was taking it easy, so there is much time to make up.

I did get in the 13's with it fwd (standard engine with the carbs on it)..

Gunna get it on some corner weights soon, so I can see what the weight is?..must be around the 900 mark?

Best bit of the w/e was doing some drifting round the camp site on the nice flat grass.. was sooo much fun! NovaNeil....your so right!

You've gotta remember though, this ain't no easy build or simple engine swap....its gunna take a bit of time to get it running well...

.....and to add to that...... I just wish the bodywork was even 50% of the quality of some of the cars on the NL stand. There were many minters with A1 paintwork and mint as arches, which were deffo appreciated!

Matt2107
07-06-05, 01:40 PM
I'm stuck for words.

Excellent effort Austin.

Who cares what times you ran... you've got a rear wheel drive nova. Anyon can build a fast car but you've completely re-engineered it.

Gunzi
07-06-05, 03:08 PM
awesome effort, I bet its fun sideways!

Matt Nova
07-06-05, 04:31 PM
I'm stuck for words.

Excellent effort Austin.

Who cares what times you ran... you've got a rear wheel drive nova. Anyon can build a fast car but you've completely re-engineered it.

exactly my thought anyone could build the fastest nova

but it wouldn't be the unique it'd be fast if that makes sense this is much more appealing

cornish
07-06-05, 04:35 PM
Top car Austin, bring it down my way and i'll slap it on the jig and respray it for you :P :)

ANDYRACER
07-06-05, 05:02 PM
Who cares if it isnt the quickest car down the quarter mile. It is one hell of a car. Big respect to you Austin for creating one hell of a nova.

Mark T
07-06-05, 07:23 PM

So what should mongo been getting on TB's then as he only managed around mid 14's.

Chris T with his proven 200BHP and straight cut box with a very light car managed 13.8 so Austins times arent out the way.

Sean ran 14.6 with not as modified engine as austins but will weigh a couple of hundred kilos lighter!

Here's my excuse! lol I simply can't drive it.. Well not use to it any way. I have just put the straight cut box in the car and on normal tarmac it launches like anything but I just couldn't seem to pull any good starts out of the bag on the day.

The TB's are running well but the MBE really needs mapping as I have been running the 225 map on a standardish spec. The reason not for going for the 208 map is that I'm running some QED cams that are similar spec to the 225 but with less lift. Just ran at a comprimise.

Aragorn
07-06-05, 07:43 PM
fair enough guys i assumed it still had more to come but i didnt realise it was a lot heavier

mongo: your budget spec 175/60 front tyres really arent helping things either mate, ollys was running 13.8's all day and u shouldve been getting close to that with the car mapped properly and some decent tyres on the front

i had just assumed similar weights as a standard XE nova and that coupled with the added advantages of RWD should have made it a faster car than it was, obviously its just been setup etc which explains things (i seem to recall that the rear of the car seemed VERY stiff and car was almost bouncing down the track which cant be good for traction)

at least you are hoping to get into the mid 13's which is imo what i'd be expecting of a 200bhp rwd nova

and as ive said a few times before i think the times that most XE novas are running are basically pretty shite, dans 1600 manages 14.3ish with less power less torque and slightly less weight (there were stripped, uncaged nova xe's running that still werent putting in good times) than XE novas, and dhdev's 1.6 16v with 170bhp was running 13.8's which is the same as ollys xe on tb's with 30bhp more

austins work was simply stunning although perhaps the gearbox would be doing with being a bit closer geared?

fwd 20xe novas on the other hand simply dont do anything for me at all and as well as having shite handling also dont go down the strip very well either

dan16v
07-06-05, 07:55 PM
seems as usual the answer is in the traction off the line! maybe the less torquey 1600's dont spin like the xes do in 1st and second (though i would have thought the tb'd ones would) just think how much time is wasted changing 1st and 2nd then into 3rd on an xe, the tyres dont realy bite untill 3rd gear!

Austin_Nova16
07-06-05, 07:59 PM
Lol at the rear stiffness.
Its more set for track really. 250lbs at the front and 200 at the back. Which are fairly good. may move to 300's on the front though. The cars only around the 180bhp area I would think, but i'll hopefully get it setup before USC as its been about 3years now...

I'm running a 4.1 FD on mine with an LSD, which TBH is fairly close. Will top out around the 120 mark..

Grip wise, It must have been fine as my mate Russell snapped a shaft off the line.

Mark T
07-06-05, 09:56 PM
mongo: your budget spec 175/60 front tyres really arent helping things either mate, ollys was running 13.8's all day and u shouldve been getting close to that with the car mapped properly and some decent tyres on the front

fwd 20xe novas on the other hand simply dont do anything for me at all and as well as having s**t handling also dont go down the strip very well either

Who told you about the nangkang ditchfinders on the front??? lol

I know what you mean about the XE novas they've just been done to death. If i could do it all again it would have a simmilar spec 1.6 to what will foy's got in his!

Aragorn
08-06-05, 12:23 AM
lol i was the guy pushing your car down the queue with alistair olsen when u were getting ready to run for the 5th time or so and i noticed the rather sketchy looking tyres :p

iirc the rears were actually a better tyre i was gonna suggest swapping them front to back to see if it helped but u were too close to the start line to start swapping wheels about

SKoob
08-06-05, 10:21 AM
Was Mongos the black SR looker with white wheels?

Mark T
09-06-05, 09:55 AM
Thats the one matie

SKoob
09-06-05, 10:49 AM
nice little sleeper 8) :lol:

Mark T
09-06-05, 01:09 PM
Well I'm glad some people like it then. The car is more about the spec, the way it goes(and the noise lol), than the way it looks. :wink:

SKoob
09-06-05, 01:20 PM
I thought it was a bit special when I heard the whine from the transmission 8)

Mark T
09-06-05, 06:45 PM
:wink: :twisted:

Ben
10-06-05, 12:02 AM
Mongo, i would much rather Nankang than some good old flamingo's!

Mark T
10-06-05, 05:36 PM
PMSL Funny story about them and their owner! lol To long to go into now and you probably would have had to of had been there!

Matt Nova
10-06-05, 07:04 PM
anyone got a photo of mongo's car?

Riggy
10-06-05, 09:30 PM
sorry about the delay mate

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/general/IM000013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/general/IM000012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/general/IM000011.jpg

they are the only ones that came out :( think i need new cam

Will
12-06-05, 08:11 PM
looks amazing! :D:D

Mark T
13-06-05, 01:10 PM
anyone got a photo of mongo's car?

I dont think that there are any pics of my nova kicking arround on t'internet. I hardly ever take them because it looks like a complete pile of sh1te! But here's my spec:

Car

1991 Vauxhall Nova 1.4 SR

Engine

Early 20 XE Block and Internals.
ARP Con-Rod Bolts.
Polished Crank With New Main and Big End Bearings.
XE Pistons (Mahle) Machined With + 1.5mm Deeper
Valve Pockets, Complete With New Piston Rings.
Fully Rebuilt Bottom End With New Gaskets and Seals.
Up-rated Oil Pump with QED Hardened Steel Internals.
High Pressure Nylon Oil Relief Valve.
New Water Pump.
New Idler and Tensioner Bearings.
Cos-Cast Cylinder Head, Gas Flowed, Wasted Exhaust Ports and Flowed Inlet Ports. Fully Stripped and Rebuilt With Gaskets, Seals, Lapped Valves, New GM Tappets and Bronze Valve Guides.
C20LET Valve Springs.
QED Q38H Cam Shafts.
Vernier Pulleys.
Z20LET Head Gasket.
SBD 208 Kit With Tapers.
MBE 967 Management
Wide Band Lambda Sensor
Straight Through Exhaust System.

Gearbox

F16 Bell Housing.
Flat-Type Flywheel.
Sachs Clutch Kit.
Quaife ATB Limited Slip Differential.
Quaife Straight Cut Synchromesh Gear Kit Comprising of 2.540, 1.760, 1.420, 1.190 and 1.040 Ratios With 4.1 Final Drive.

Chassis

Fully seam welded engine bay.
Seam welded around tunnel and seating area.
GAZ Rebound adjustable and height adjustable 2 ?? Coil-over shock absorbers (Front).
GAZ Rebound adjustable dampers and ?40mm lowering springs (Rear).
Polyurethane bushes all round.
OMP Strut Brace.

Brakes

Astra GTE 256mm front discs
Rear beam converted to discs
Braided brake lines all round

Wheels and Tyres

14? Astra GTE Alloys in White
Nangkang Ditchfinders All Round

Performance (Old spec)

Standing Quarter in 14.2 @ 101.5mph
0-60 in 5.35
0-100 in 14.0 est.
177 Bhp at flywheel

Security

Me! and a few othere bits and pieces

Ice

That'll be the TB's and zorst then!

elsey197
14-06-05, 11:57 PM
and dhdev's 1.6 16v with 170bhp was running 13.8's which is the same as ollys xe on tb's with 30bhp more

If i remeber rightly olly only has about 180bhp as its only a standard xe on bodies