PDA

View Full Version : anybody done a rear disc conversion?

jamie gsi16v
06-06-05, 11:20 PM
ive got rear discs on my nova, i bought the car with these on and found 2 problems, firstly i found myself sideways in the middle of an island the other day after i had been thrashing the brakes and the back decided to lock up b4 the front, what can i do about this? and secondly the hadbrakes crap and it rubs and travels round my rear springs which makes a teribble noise when driving and carnt be doing it any good? any idea's?

Aragorn
07-06-05, 12:07 AM
the rear needs biased out properly

u can either find some 3/30 reducer valves from nova van / sallons which are supposed to be more restrictive than the standard 3/45 ones on the master cylinder, or u can run one single line and fit a bias valve

jamie gsi16v
07-06-05, 11:52 PM
where will i find this reducer valve and any ideas on the handbreak fouling the spring?

Aragorn
08-06-05, 12:19 AM
they are the 2 brass things sticking out the side of the master cylinder

yours will prolly be stamped 3/40

u need to find some stamped 3/30 or lower

jamie gsi16v
08-06-05, 11:42 AM
and replace both of them or not? what will this achieve?

joff-turbo-nova
09-06-05, 08:26 AM
The nova van/saloon restrictors let less pressure through in relation to the pressure to the fronts so less pressure will mean less lock up!

The restrictors look like a hexagon shaped lump in between the master cylinder and the brake pipe - pull your washer bottle up and they should be under that.

These are not adjustable so the ultimate option would be to run just one line to the rears , put a bias valve in line - normally situated on the exhaust tunnel near the hand brake and then t-off to the two rear brakes.

As for the hand brake on this conversion , I use a mk2 Cavalier handbrake cable which is shortened and the nipple brazed on lower down the cable so its all nice and tight.

Cheers

Joff

jamie gsi16v
09-06-05, 10:47 PM
yeh i have done the brake cable but it fouls on my springs, how do i get round this?

Aragorn
09-06-05, 11:57 PM
i think u need the handbrake cable guides off a disk braked rear beam