PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.2 Merit To 1.6 gte - DANGER

Koop_sr
06-06-05, 09:46 PM
My mate is putting a 1.6gte in his 1.2 nova without strenghing or getting new breaks and calipers i told him its gonna fuck up but he disagrees

do u think it will last with just the engine change although he does have 195 tyres on but that is about it.

How long and what problems will he encounter because isnt modifying correcty

Are 1.2 breaks different in much way to 1 Litre breaks?

thanks

dunova
06-06-05, 10:01 PM
He doesn't need to strenghen the shell, but i'd HIGHLY advise upgrading to at least gte/gsi/sri brakes (they are all the same), if not 2.0 ATE disks and calipers from an Astra gte/gsi, cav gsi or cali.

Iirc the 1.0, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 brakes are all the same (and crap).

Snowface
06-06-05, 10:26 PM
can't see how tires will affect anything.

Engine bay will be ok, he should get some better brakes though, as has been said Nova GTE ones at least. best off with ATE 16v 256mm though.

Koop_sr
07-06-05, 12:30 PM
Are 1litre breaks and 1.2 litre breaks th same. asin in size and stuff
if not whats the difference

jonny_mcc
07-06-05, 01:49 PM

Think that'll answer your question. I put 2ltr Cavi gsi brakes on mine. What a difference!! Got a 1600 gsi going in soon but gonna get the engine bay seem welded first and any weak points have plates welded in to strengthen.

mad-driver
07-06-05, 01:55 PM

ill vouch for that lol

Chris S
07-06-05, 06:07 PM
just depends how he drives to be honest. if he just chills when he drives on the road it',, be ok.

i had an XE nova with standard 1.2 slider brakes.
was sound for normal driving.
onlu used it for the strip

Koop_sr
07-06-05, 10:17 PM
well his intentions are to rag it pretty hard so i cant see it lasting too long

Rexy
07-06-05, 10:25 PM
Tut Tut...

If hes gona do something do it properly...

Just tell him to upgrade the brakes Or Downshift while breaking.

mad-driver
07-06-05, 10:54 PM
Tut Tut...

Just tell him to upgrade the brakes Or Downshift while breaking.

OR downshift while braking? I have to do that in my 1400 sr and it still dont stop lol!

Paul
07-06-05, 11:25 PM
ATE calipers are about ?20.

Pattern disks and pads an tube of copper grease ?35ish.

Call him a cheap ****.

Jack
08-06-05, 10:58 PM
Nooooooo IMO tyres are one of the biggest factors in handling! The F1s on my GT-Four have made a world of difference!

Unless he's got shit budget Kumhos or whatever lol

peester
09-06-05, 12:15 AM
Tut Tut...

as said; the better you do it; the better it'll be - do all of the above (strengthen bay, 256mm disc conv, good tyres, suspension) it'll behave all the better for it. Anyways insurnace companies, if told, wud interogate (sp) you..

Koop_sr
09-06-05, 12:15 AM
ATE calipers are about ?20.

Pattern disks and pads an tube of copper grease ?35ish.

Call him a cheap c**t.

i wanna upgrade my breaks yet buying them will be cheap fitting them is another thing!

Philsutton
11-06-05, 08:51 PM
My mate is putting a 1.6gte in his 1.2 nova without strenghing or getting new breaks and calipers i told him its gonna fcuk up but he disagrees
he's gonna die lol, i but 1.4sr brakes on my 2lt for a few days an wont be doing it again

Jim
11-06-05, 10:40 PM
well his intentions are to rag it pretty hard so i cant see it lasting too long

If hes going to drive like a tit then he will get everything he deserves.

Jim

Snowface
12-06-05, 11:21 AM
Nooooooo IMO tyres are one of the biggest factors in handling! The F1s on my GT-Four have made a world of difference!

Unless he's got s**t budget Kumhos or whatever lol

Sorry, i should have said i can't see how tire Width is going to affect anything.

I'm sure 1 more prat ragging an XE in a Nova isn't going to listen to you anyway, sounds like he'll do as he pleases, & probably end up worse off for it.

ANDYRACER
12-06-05, 07:05 PM
He is goin to die. The standard brakes cant even cope with the power of a 1.2. The 2.0 brakes are worth putting on all day even if its still a 1.0/2.

ade
12-06-05, 07:26 PM
the only difference between the GTE/GSi and the standard 1.2 Nova - apart from the cosmetics and some electric windows/central locking is the engine (obviously) and the brakes and a set of anti roll bars - oh and some 14" alloys.

Anything less than GTE brakes are sh1te - youve got more chance of slowing down sticking your foot out the door!

Engine bays on all Novas (that came from factory) are standard - no strengthening... its not needed.

Get a set of Astra Brakes and upgrade your serve/master cylinder to GTE parts. Will save youe life because if you stick a bigger engine in you'll go faster!

oh and the GTE's were lower - a bit - but not much...

If its a standard 1.2 (not inhjection) - he'll need the GTE fuel tank and pump or at lease a 1.2i tank

Ade

(also sticking a GTE into a 1.2)

maxpaine
13-06-05, 05:03 AM
i'm fucked hehehe i cant put the astras or the corsa GSI brakes in my nova in my country yupiiiiii, its against the law to put better brakes

NovalutionGSi
13-06-05, 10:10 AM
but if its not legal to put better brakes on your car then surly your ot allowed to upgrade engines etc?

i've even up graded my GSi brakes to GSi cavvie's. still moments where it doesnt want to stop, might just be my big feet hitting the throttle at the same time! :lol:

must admit, i've seen some silly things in my time, like a 1.3Casanova with an XE lump. pulled next to me, i'm laughing thinking it was still the 1.3! C**T! heard he still have the standard brakes on it and he was using it for street racing! :o :roll:

mad-driver
13-06-05, 10:12 AM
Anything less than GTE brakes are sh1te - youve got more chance of slowing down sticking your foot out the door!

(also sticking a GTE into a 1.2)

i might have to resort to that one lol

Lee
13-06-05, 02:34 PM
i agree with everyone. Those brakes probly struggle to stop it as a 1.2, let alone a GTe, and they have a lovely habit of seizing on as well. Every Nova ive owned, the first thing i do is put Cav 2.0 discs and callipers on.