PDA

View Full Version : haynes

alxlaw
06-06-05, 11:44 AM
i really have had enough of the haynes manual, ok last night i fitted new dizzy cap arm points (yes i used a feeler gauge) and condenser because my mechanic told me that was what was wrong with it, so this i did, and when i go to put the cap back on i noticed the leads were in the wrong order?, so i locate the bit about firing order in haynes off the dissy and copy it exact...........bang!, start it up nothing happends eccept a loud bang from the carb!, so i paniced n put it all back (in what the haynes would call the wrong order!), turned it on and worked fine/still misfired at idle, but at least it worked i need to know whats going on because its really confusing

any ideas?

http://storage.msn.com/s1pZ8pl_R1n1zG2AzZ3anuk2va78n-urnsoP2H5GEXhXwwszDgTRFYet3tzf34MiKTjNBSDgFuy9Tq_Z mDBTazdOw/00.jpg?MdToken=2465153965708169

Adam
06-06-05, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, is it me, or are them pics exactly the same :o

No they are different,sorry, the haynes one is correct :wink:

Adam
06-06-05, 12:05 PM
On the 1.0L, the firing order is 1342 in a clockwise direction.
Number 1 being bottom left on the dizzy cap, with the vacuum unit on the right hand side. As in pic2

Your engine was probably misfiring because the leads were going to the wrong cylinder.

alxlaw
06-06-05, 12:13 PM
but when i put them in the "right order" the car wont start and loud bangs can be heard comeing out of the carb??

alxlaw
06-06-05, 12:15 PM
it works "ok" in the other order??? im so confused

Adam
06-06-05, 12:23 PM
If one lead is on in the wrong place, then the engine will run badly if it runs.

I would put them on in Haynes order again.
Perhaps you accidently put them on wrong.
Try Haynes method again, haynes won't be wrong :wink:

alxlaw
06-06-05, 02:29 PM
ok i put them in the right order and there was a very loud bang out of the carb when i turned it over, are you sure its not doing it any harm, a mate of mine said i need to do static timing or summit whats that?

Snowface
06-06-05, 04:56 PM
If one lead is on in the wrong place, then the engine will run badly if it runs.

you can't have just 1 lead in the wrong place, its either its right or you got 2/3/4 in the wrong place/order.

1342 is the OHC engines i believe.

Adam
06-06-05, 06:32 PM

you can't have just 1 lead in the wrong place, its either its right or you got 2/3/4 in the wrong place/order.

1342 is the OHC engines i believe.
LOL, just realised it would be difficult to put one lead in the wrong place :roll: lol

Starting from cylinder 1
OHC=1342 anticlockwise Lead 1 being top right
OHV=1342 ANTIclockwise Lead 1 being bottom left

If you get me

Donova
06-06-05, 09:23 PM
yes haynes is right, must be timing! :|

Aragorn
07-06-05, 12:02 AM
if it ran normally with the old alignment then use that

if they arent right it wont run at all like your getting now

alxlaw
07-06-05, 02:42 PM
the old alighnment works but misfires serverly, how do i go about "doing the timing"? why is the haynes wrong, how is it possible?