PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Bristol with a spraygun?

dunova
02-06-05, 09:41 PM
Anyone? Basically i sprayed my spoiler with aerosol cans and it looks crap, so i considered getting a spray gun and compressor etc but decided it was too much effort! So does anyone fancy doing it? Obviously i'll supply the paint and pay for you to do it. I could get it done at a proper bodyshop but they'll prob want about ?80 and can take forever and a day to do anything.

Anyone with the equiptment and is good at spraying?

If not then i guess i'll have to fork out the ?80 :?

boredbloke
02-06-05, 10:46 PM
why did it look crap with aerosols??

explain what ya did dude right from the start

dunova
03-06-05, 11:30 AM
1-rubbed back the spoiler
2-1st coat primer
3-rub back with 1200 grit paper
4-2nd coat primer
5-rub back with 1200
6-colour coat
7-rub back
8-colour coat
9-rub back
10-colour coat
11-rub back
12-heavy coat of lacquer

Basically it just isn't a gloss finish like the car is (you can see yourself in the reflection of the car paint but you cant in the spoiler).

TBH, i think you just cant get a decent enough finish with aerosols so would like it done properly. I can get small things to have quite a nice finish, but the bigger things get (and especially if they're mainly long and flat) then the quality goes down :x

mikey14sr
03-06-05, 12:25 PM
1-rubbed back the spoiler
2-1st coat primer
3-rub back with 1200 grit paper
4-2nd coat primer
5-rub back with 1200
6-colour coat
7-rub back
8-colour coat
9-rub back
10-colour coat
11-rub back
12-heavy coat of lacquer

how long in between coats? maybe a few more coats of lacquer might do the trick?

dunova
03-06-05, 12:32 PM
In the past i've always found that doing one heavy coat (getting it really wet, but not so much that it runs) gets the best and most glossy finish rather than afew light coats.

No-one with a spraygun then?

Jack
03-06-05, 01:38 PM
How about hiring one? Or would that cost just as much?

dunova
03-06-05, 02:36 PM
How about hiring one? Or would that cost just as much?
I would have thought so :?
I could buy a cheapy gun and compressor for about ?100 and then i'd be able to do other stuff aswell. I just can't really be arsed :lol:

boredbloke
03-06-05, 07:52 PM
don't buy cheap it's not worth it,

i'd get some 1500 wet n dry use it after soakin it for a while

and just lightly rub over it i've had primer looking shiny enough to see a reflection before!

novaexplod
04-06-05, 11:22 AM
if it was me id try sanding it lightly with wet and try and get a buffer on the bastard!

dunova
10-06-05, 08:39 PM
Well i've just been out and bought some t-cut and some serious t-cutting later and it looks beautiful!! It's like a mirror and smooth as glass-looks professional! Well chuffed :D