PDA

View Full Version : rear disc breaks dont work

jamie gsi16v
31-05-05, 11:31 PM
after starting my car for the first time today thort it would be rude not to take it for a thrape.... only on pulling back in the yard i found the rear discs are shite and really dont work, but with the handbrake on i found trying to reverse was impossible as they were locked solid?

dont work forwards
do work backwards

what the f**k?

Aragorn
31-05-05, 11:56 PM
sounds like shoes arent right, are all the mechanisms in the right place and nothings sticking?

jamie gsi16v
31-05-05, 11:57 PM
no everything seems fine, iv heard they arnt very good anyway?

Aragorn
01-06-05, 12:01 AM
well the handbrake is much smaller for a start, remember its designed to hold the car still, not stop it from moving at speed, thats what the foot pedal is for

if u want to have amazing handbrake fit a hydraulic one

getlost29
01-06-05, 08:45 AM
try using a bias valve so u can proportion the brake split better

Aragorn
01-06-05, 10:33 AM
what does a bias valve have to do with the handbrake cable?

ive heard roumours that the handbrake isnt "as good" on the disk beams from folk who like to do stupid handbrake turns etc

its prolly becuase its smaller and only designed to hold the vehcile still as ive said already than the normal drum setup where its the normal main brake shoes the handbrake acts on

Dar
01-06-05, 02:41 PM
Im a little unsure if your talking about the handbrake or the foot pedal?

Aragorn has already gone over the handbrake points.

However if you also saying that the rears are bad on the foot brake and where fine before then you may want to check that they are not siezed i.e. make sure that the pistons move.

If they have never been any good on the foot pedal then do as getlost29 says and fit a bias valve.

Snowface
01-06-05, 06:52 PM
i think if u read his first post again he's talking about the rear disk brakes (as per Thread title).

I'd say try a bias vavle also as the standard bias would most likely send more to the front calipers than to the rear drums.

Aragorn
01-06-05, 07:04 PM
the standard bias overbrakes the rear anyway hence all the horror storys about disk braked rear beams

he must be talking about handbrake

how the hell could u tell via the foot pedal that the rears werent working ffs?

jamie gsi16v
01-06-05, 07:17 PM
hi folks sorry i havnt replied quick, it is the handbrake and it really is pathetic, gona strip it down tomora nd check n clean everything, j

boredbloke
01-06-05, 07:22 PM
maybe the car is throwing move weight forwards when he brakes at speed due to the front wanted to slow but not the back

if the back where to brake harder the car would tilt forward less

although imo he's talking about the handbrake