PDA

View Full Version : key snapped off in petrol cap!

SRlew
31-05-05, 03:04 PM
PLEASE HELP
theres allways somthing with cars but now this :roll:

went to put some petrol in the car and sort out the petrol cap, (really hard to get off) put the key in and tryed to turn it but it wouldnt. so pulled the key out and half of it was missing!

it isnt the standard one, its an after market item.
what the f**k am i going to do!!!!????

any ideas/help apprieciated, lew

novaexplod
31-05-05, 05:13 PM
do what i did and get a 10mm masonry drill bit in a decent drill (i used a dewalt) and drill the lock right through, then ull have to buy a new cap.

newboytothenova2
31-05-05, 06:20 PM
hi mate the after market caps have a really bad problem of sticking they need wd40ing every week or so..iv had the same problems.drill it is the best option as said above

Riggy
31-05-05, 06:53 PM
if you drill be carefull of swarf going into the fuel tank

id just screwdriver the lock tbh

SRlew
31-05-05, 07:34 PM
right then if i drill the lock, should i drill through the hole thing, and will the cap come of alright seeing as its stuck.

if i use a screwdriver riggy, what should i do just hammer it in?

yer last time i got it off, i WD40'd it and it worked a treat for bout 1day, not even that i think! :lol:

can you buy brand new standard fuel caps?

cheers, lew

Adam
31-05-05, 07:42 PM
can you buy brand new standard fuel caps?

Scrappy :wink:

Riggy
31-05-05, 08:31 PM
yeah just stick the screwdriver in and give it a wigle till the thing comes off

novaexplod
31-05-05, 10:46 PM
i dont think it will come off easily to be honest but yes u have to be careful of swarf going down the pipe, although u wont have to go all the way through, just go till youve gone all the way through the barrel then if its like most caps ull have 2 lugs that lock in which ull have to twist out, if on novas you can pull the petrol pipe from the back then itll probably make it easier if u can disconnect it as u will probably see the lugs or locking bar.

SRlew
01-06-05, 12:04 AM
theres never any novas at the scrappy here, but i aint sure if theres one at the minute or not so will have a look see.

yer the petrol cap has got 2 lugs things that lock on, sort of thing.

right you know you can see the fuel pipe behind the rear arch. would i be able to dissconect it so i can drill without worrying. as novaeplod said.

but yer does the pipe dissconect??

cheers guys.
lew

Aragorn
01-06-05, 12:21 AM
just ram a f00king big screwdriver into the lock and turn it

if u can open nova doors with that method im sure the crappy aftermarket fuel cap is gonna break too

Jack
01-06-05, 10:41 AM
Halfrauds sell replacement caps (proper ones, not just the temporary ones) for about a fiver.

SRlew
01-06-05, 01:05 PM
alright then looks like i'll be trying the screw driver in a minute, but should i hammer it in? (so it goes in further)

alright i'll have a look in halfords.
cheers, lew

5T1G
01-06-05, 02:24 PM
nah don't hammer it you'll cause damaged

boredbloke
01-06-05, 07:30 PM
^^ berk i don't think he'll be using the cap again!!

just make sure u get it in there alright if your that worry take the car to a lock smith he might be able to help ya out

SRlew
02-06-05, 09:40 AM
lol nah i aint going to be useing it again.

well i'll try and get it off on the weekend when it stops raining!

cheers, lew